JOHN RILEY here...new DVD: samples here....

I've finally made my way through the viewing of the DVD. Now comes the work.

The DVD, along with The Art of Bop Drumming, Beyond Bop Drumming and The Jazz Drummers Workshop, I feel John Riley has produced the very best library available on the topic of Jazz Drumming.

I find it to be timeless material that challenges and develops all facets of execution - technique, coordination, endurance and mental aspect to name a few.

Thank you John for all of it! Anyone who works through these I'm convinced will be better drummers and musicians when they come out the other side.

Hi Andy,

Good to hear from you and thanks for your kind words about my books and DVD. I am glad they are helpful for you.

Unfortunately, I have not seen the DVD you are asking about but Ed Soph is a fantastic player and teacher. When I watch Ed play, I see that we both use very similar motions.

I try to capitalize on the energy in the rebounding stick and use that instead of using my muscles to move the stick. I find, if I do stop the stick, my sound becomes more staccato and I fatigue faster. The only time I will stop the rebound of the stick is when I am playing very so tempos and gravity is starting to interfere. Perhaps Ed was demonstrating playing the cymbal pattern at a very slow tempo and had to stop and hold, or "catch," the stick to keep it from drooping down onto the cymbal.

John Riley

Hi John!I find answer on my question to you,because Steve Fidyk explain that in november 2011.issue-modern drummer.Three different techniques for ride cymbal playing-german,french and hinger.Ed Soph plays hinger technique.You play french,and use morello system technique,which is better for fast ride playing.I am Andy Petko.Thank you very much for your great books and dvd,also superb articles in mod.drummer.bye!

I will look at it ,go through a few exercises and put it away to gather dust like I always do with advanced books.If I stick to it too much,I get depression.

I will have a voice in my head saying "you can't do this"

Hi John!

I have a follow up question to an earlier thread about ride cymbal phrasing,http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82872&highlight=john+riley

At fast tempos the swing pattern will straighten out. My question is about medium and slow tempos. Does the last note of the triplet tend to be slightly toward the sixteenth but still closer to the triplet or do you think of it as an even triplet?

It seems your comping examples on the CD from "The Art Of Bop Drumming" might be phrased this way or maybe it's my imagination. Maybe it varies from song to song?

Hi Mr Mike and happy holidays to all.

The position of the skip note is a personal choice but playing it as the 3rd note of a triplet at slow and medium tempo always sounds fine. The main thing is to decide the spacing, and therefore the feel, that you like most and establish that flow. Playing it more like dotted 1/8th and 16th has a tighter, more on top feel while playing it even more open than a triplet has a lazy feel so, varying the spacing of the skip note is not a good idea because it can make the groove feel less stable.

Best,

John

Happy New Year to you John!

Thanks for your reply. I will work on keeping those triplets nice and even with a strong quarter note pulse. I will also try to mimic your examples on the CD while playing to click and bass lines provided on your Master Drummer DVD.

This why Drummerworld is the best website for drummers on the planet!

Thanks again John!

Awesome thread!!

Greetings to all of you from Argentina! Sorry my english!
Thank you John for all the inspiration!!! I get my copy of the Master Drummer
and also the Modern Drummer Festival 2011 and I have just finish watching your Masterclass

I have no words to thank you for all your effort and the dedication in your lessons!!

Once more, I want to thank you and all the drummer comunity here!!

Its an awesome place!!!!!

Saw Mr Riley giving a demo on a Ludwig drumkit... Man, can he play those drums!

- Reggae Mangle

Just bought John's DVD and Art of Bop Drumming book and the DVD (haven't gotten my book in the mail) is extremely helpful and touches on things that I think other drumming DVD's haven't. I love the part when he talks about the track that he plays in and discusses WHY he did what he did in it. It has really made me think about musicality and to try to practice in 4 bar phrases (yeah, honestly I never have). So needless to say thanks Mr. Riley for making me think "outside the box" I have TONS of material to go over, its a blessing indeed.

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let you all know that John is going to be giving a free masterclass in Washington, DC on Saturday, June 8th! The event will be at the Levine School of Music Sallie, Mae Hall and I am setting it up, so if you want to come let me know!

OK, John...

When's your next book coming out?

(Hopefully soon :))

Thanks for all of the great music and education you've given us.

Hi T.L.

Thanks for your kind words, glad the books are helpful.

I am working on some online stuff but haven't settled on the best approach yet. In the meantime have you seen my DVD "The Master Drummer" or the one from the 2011 MD Festival?

Best,

John

Hi T.L.

Thanks for your kind words, glad the books are helpful.

I am working on some online stuff but haven't settled on the best approach yet. In the meantime have you seen my DVD "The Master Drummer" or the one from the 2011 MD Festival?

Best,

John

Hi John,

I have "The Master Drummer," and will now be ordering the MD Festival!

I'm looking forward to whatever you come out with next.

Do you have any album recommendations (that you've played on)? I'd like to hear more of your playing. :)

Hello All,

I have a "consideration" for lack of a better expression.
Is anyone else working toward a consistent "emphasizing" (anticipated feel) of the 3rd sub-divided" triplet of every beat?

For clarification sake, my definition of "emphasizing" - it's different from an accent. Not as loud as an accent... in jazz terms it's closer to a feeling of anticipation of the actual pulse of the music. (example: difference in feel between the "do-dit" & "do-va")

This applies, generally, to Jazz interpretation as applied to the drum set. Perhaps it's best to use a specific example... Let's take "Beyond Bop Drumming". It does not have to be this book, it can be any book &/ or any page in this book. That said.

• Page: 15
  • Triplet Warm-Ups
  • the second line on the page

Particularly when, in this example (because of the pattern) the third sub-divided note of each triplet shifts from bass drum to hi hat to snare drum. With truly hard work, I find it lends a more authentic & consistent Jazz feel. Whereas, simply playing the independence, for independence sake & without consideration of this "Jazz-Emphasis", it brings a lopsided feel. More like another style of music all together. Or like a 2/8 feel over a Jazz feel... It's clearer to demonstrate for my students, than to put into words.. (my apologies) Comments, anyone?

Last edited:
Back