Remo Controlled Sound?

drumguyfromWI

has anybody used the Remo Controlled Sound heads? you know, the ones with the black dot?

I'm looking for a batter head to replace the coated Evans G1 heads on my snare and tom batters; I want a head that is already muffled enough without having to use extra muffling like MoonGels and studio rings and stuff, but also not completely dead. Would these work for me?

(this is especially important for the toms, because I am good at getting my kick and snare to sound good, but I'm not very good at getting my toms to sound as good as the kick and snare.)

Remo Controlled Sound heads are just Ambassador heads with a black dot on them. And that does focus the sound a little more. The Powerstroke 3 has a richie ring built onto it, so if you like the sound of your drums "with a muffle ring" but just don't want that "extra piece" floating around, the P3, might also work. I tend to run Controlled Sound, Emperor (what I have mounted now), or Powerstroke 3 heads. With an occasion to throw a Ambassador or a Pinstripe head on a drum, every once in a while.......now, to answer the question "would these work for you"? I don't know. Depends. Depends on what you like. Depends on the set you play. I'll change heads on my kit, not because I don't like the sound, but because I want a different sound today.

These heads were always a favorite of mine. If you like a somewhat muffled sound, these may not work for you. Like Harry said, they are a clear Ambassador with a black dot which adds durability and some focus. They will sound open with a little enhanced attack from the dot which I have to say makes these heads quite strong. I have to try them on my 14, 16 & 18 maple shells someday.

question about the PowerStroke 3's... aren't those a bass drum head? I can't find any sizes of them on remo.com that are smaller than 16". I need 14" for snare, 12" for rack tom, and 16" for floor tom.

Remo makes the Powerstroke 3 snare and tom sizes 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18. Bass sizes 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 36.

i really like them for a snare batter.....i tried a coated emperor....but it dodnt xound half as good....there really a great head!

Back