Jayp is back!

jayp

Silver Member
So I've been taking a hiatus from my drumming for a moment and focused on.... this

http://www.zshare.net/audio/57171770ae26857c/

Let me know what you guys think Ide really appreciate it.

We used a sterling audio st-77 mic for the recording, an amazingggg mic.

Very cool Jayp!

I have a question for you. Are the vocal overlays all you, or is there another vocalist on the track? I really dig it and I would like to hear more of your work.

Im verse 1 my boy Tone Definite is on verse 2, The chrous is Illa J. All the adlibs on my verse are all my vocals.

Im verse 1 my boy Tone Definite is on verse 2, The chrous is Illa J. All the adlibs on my verse are all my vocals.

I must have missed the introduction in the beginning... sorry. It's really great buddy. You definately have something going here. You know, it reminds me of early 90's stuff like Black Sheep, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul & Ghetto Boys. It's really good man!

Thanks man! I appreciate, those doods are all some of my idols right there so its awesome to hear we have a sound that compaires :)

Thanks man! I appreciate, those doods are all some of my idols right there so its awesome to hear we have a sound that compaires :)

It's true, I hear the influence. If you want me to go even further I hear Das EFX, The Pharcyde & Goodie Mob influence as well. I'm not blowing smoke up your rump when I said that "you have something going." You are onto something that has been missing in this genre for a long time.... appreciation for its history. I miss the days when rap and hiphop not only sounded original but spoke of issues that transcended its stereotypes. Listening to "Showtime" brought me back to a time when that music meant something and there were things to talk about. Keep going.. get personal, get deep. You and your friends obviously have the talent! Rip it dogg.

I must have missed the introduction in the beginning... sorry. It's really great buddy. You definately have something going here. You know, it reminds me of early 90's stuff like Black Sheep, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul & Ghetto Boys. It's really good man!

Man, I definitely hear De La Soul. I really like that stuff, I love 90s rap, you can still hear offspring of that stuff today, like the Flobots that definitely transcend their steroetypes, I hate rappers talking about money ad girls and cars ect. There music is a little different but I still love it, other than Handlebars because it got so overplayed.

But yeah man I really like your stuff, all of it, I bet it would be cool to mix your drums and do some instrumental rap stuff, maybe get some guys to play, but I really dig this.

You hit the nail on the head w/ our whole motive for our hip hop, I take it seriously like I take my Jazz, its all about succession and progression to me. Our name "The Big Kids" came from that theory, Theres not much for REAL true old shchool 90's stuff out there, the old days with Big L and all the east coast kats killin it talking about REAL ish, I feel that we are keepin that mission of making that true music here in 09. Again man I really appreciate the comments.

Heres another track we threw together last night, I made the beat in about an hour, ended up finishin this around 5am last night ahah!
http://www.zshare.net/audio/57286790b372d073/

you can find us on myspace.com/thesekidsarebig for more of our stuff.

Thanks
JayP

You hit the nail on the head w/ our whole motive for our hip hop, I take it seriously like I take my Jazz, its all about succession and progression to me. Our name "The Big Kids" came from that theory, Theres not much for REAL true old shchool 90's stuff out there, the old days with Big L and all the east coast kats killin it talking about REAL ish, I feel that we are keepin that mission of making that true music here in 09. Again man I really appreciate the comments.

Heres another track we threw together last night, I made the beat in about an hour, ended up finishin this around 5am last night ahah!
http://www.zshare.net/audio/57286790b372d073/

you can find us on myspace.com/thesekidsarebig for more of our stuff.

Thanks
JayP

Man, that tracks even better. I like the drumming references, that was pretty cool. I've always loved jazz hip hop stuff. You guys gotta recording deal or are you making an album anytime soon?

Nah no deal, just independent stuff. im in the car right now drivin a few hours to do a spring break event, should be fun!

we just made a Volume 2 album thats a mix of our first demo and about 6 new songs and remixed beats.. we are in the works with our first seriois attempt at an album and im also working on a solo instrumental album for 2009 as well.

i gotta run but thanks again for the comments

Wow Jay, I`m impressed!!! Big time!

Great work, great beats, sounds and overall the music is simply happening! I really love the old school hip-hop music from the 90's and it`s great to see and hear musicians keeping this unique soul alive.
It reminds me of Madlib/JDilla a bit. I really love "Slims`s Return", this tune inspired me a lot.

Great that you`re back and share some great music with us!

Karl

Karl,

The mention of Jdilla/Madlib makes me wanna jump across the atlantic and give you a hug! haha no but seriously, My biggest influences as far as producers are Dilla and Madlib(the firs track showtime was JDilla). Im really glad you all enjoyed the stuff and I will be postin more here soon.

I just got a gig to make 2 beats for $100 and some other green goodies from a friend. so Im pretty excited I'm actually going to start makin some cash from this too.

Since I got my ludwigs ive been needin a throne, hi-hat stand and kick pedal and a cymbal stand or 2, basically all hardware lol thats really the only thing thats kept me away from my babies. Ive been just too poor w/ this economy but hopefully here soon I will be makin some purchases. At least a piece at a time, I need to get bak on my set and start mixing my jazz/hip hop stuff together.

Jay,

yeah, a close friend of mine once recommended Stonesthrow...I really enjoy to listen to their music.
Some time ago in winter we were going home by car at night and listened to some great beats Dilla produced, it was an awesome experience to listen to these. May he rest in peace...

Robert Glasper recently strengthened my love for the sound of old school hip-hop and showed that there`s a great synthesis of contemporary Jazz and Hip-Hop music. I wouldn`t wanna define this synthesis, it simply sounds amazing.

When I get some mics I`m gonna try to record some Hip-Hop, Trip-Hop etc.

Karl

we are working on an album so i will post it when it drops should be around rhe 1st of june

Back