Building a Custom Snare - Type of Wood Advice?

tobybells

Hello,

A friend of mine has his own custom snare company, Greiner Kilmer Snares, and has offered to build me a custom drum.

I'm wondering if anyone would have suggestions on the best type of wood for the sound I'm going for? I play in a loud instrumental indie/post rock band, and want a snare that can cut through everything but is also deep.

One idea we tossed around was around was a Padauk and Maple hybrid. I also like the idea of Walnut/Maple.

Thoughts?

Also - Here is an example of my friend's handy work below:
Ex:
image.png

Last edited:
Maple and purple heart would be awesome, as would maple and blackwood. We are ignoring price here . . . . .

Maple and purple heart would be awesome, as would maple and blackwood. We are ignoring price here . . . . .

I looked up Purple heart and like that a lot. Greiner Kilmer Snares typically sell between 500-800...I'm hoping to keep mine around the 600-700 area, depending what kind of friend discount (if any) there is.

Oak would also be loud and a very durable wood. That snare looks great

Regarding the snare pictured in my first post:

"The top wood is padauk, the brown strips are mahogany, the center is maple, and the bottom is purpleheart. It was a little deep for my taste, but I could do something similar to that for you if you like it! It was pretty meaty sounding"

I'm considering that...

I have both beech and maple stave snares. They are absolute cannons. I suspect whatever you choose will be loud just due to the stave makeup

F

Back