Hoop vs. Rim?!

gretschdrummer18

This may sound super dumb, but here goes. Is there a difference between the two? or are they the same thing? I keep hearing about both phrases, and I figure I better save myself the problem of looking ignorant by using the terms wrong. Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much!

The terms are interchangeable mate. Much like drum head or skin. Although that said I've never heard one referred to as a bass drum rim, only a bass drum hoop......in fact I don't think I've heard any wooden hoop referred to as a rim, so perhaps a distinction is made with respect to wood. But that aside, generally speaking you can use either word and people will know what you're talking about.

Counter hoop vs flesh hoop

The flesh hoop is the hoop that attaches to the head material (mylar nowadays, but hide in the past, thus "flesh").

The counter hoop is what pushes against the flesh hoop to tune the drum.

Hoop I imagine is just any flat, circular strip. So a non-flanged rim would be a hoop, as are most wooden bass drum hoops. Most non-bass-drum rims are at least single-flanged, and more commonly triple-flanged.

At least, that's how I'd look at it from a pedantic point of view. More generally, the terms are used somewhat interchangably.

I use hoops when I talking about the piece itself, separate from the drum..
i.e. I need to get some die cast hoops.

I use rims when I'm talking about the assembled drum.
i.e. I need to work on my rimshots; I keep hitting the rim.

Bass drum hoops are always hoops.

But like they said, they are interchangeable.

Back