which stand to use for tom (virgin kick)?

You can use a snare stand or you can use a cymbal stand with a tom mount and clamp.
The tom mount and clamp will obviously get rid of one stand that may be in the way.

... in order to make a virgin kick?
A virgin kick is a bass drum that has not been drilled for a tom mount. This is regardless of rack toms being present, or not. Probably the 4 most common ways to hang a rack tom (without kick drum involvement) would be using a snare stand, using a tom stand, running the tom off a cymbal stand, or using a drum rack. Simply removing the tom from the kick, however, will not make the kick a "virgin".

A virgin kick is a bass drum that has not been drilled for a tom mount. This is regardless of rack toms being present, or not. Probably the 4 most common ways to hang a rack tom (without kick drum involvement) would be using a snare stand, using a tom stand, running the tom off a cymbal stand, or using a drum rack. Simply removing the tom from the kick, however, will not make the kick a "virgin".

I agree, it can't have the virgin title, but taking the toms off of a drilled bass does make a significant difference, IMO.

Maybe we can call it an "almost there" bass drum.

Although I'd used the tom on a RIMS, off a tom/cymbal stand for a very long time, I recently went to the tom on a snare stand (again).

I use a Pearl snare stand with the rubber "cut out" grips.

I use the one with the adjustable basket arms, as I have different tom sizes, but I liked this stand so much, and it works so well, that I got the short version (non-adjustable basket arms) for my snare.

It grips securely, but the rubber grips have a lot of "give" to them, so there's no real noticeable loss of resonance between the sound on the stand, and just holding it.

These are really great stands, and I'd recommend this over any other brand for using it with a tom.

It grips securely, but the rubber grips have a lot of "give" to them, so there's no real noticeable loss of resonance between the sound on the stand, and just holding it.

I find that just the weight of the tom on the bottom rim takes away too much resonance for my taste. That's why I use a RIMS-style tom mounting system for my 12" tom.

Now, that's for rock/blues/pop tuning. If the drums are tuned for jazz, it doesn't matter...

I really like the idea of one stand doing two things, so I hang both of my toms, on rims, from my two DW cymbal stands.

I find that just the weight of the tom on the bottom rim takes away too much resonance for my taste. That's why I use a RIMS-style tom mounting system for my 12" tom.

Now, that's for rock/blues/pop tuning. If the drums are tuned for jazz, it doesn't matter...

I found that too, until I tried the Pearl stand.

I have my tom tuned a sort of jazz/rock tuning... not super tight, but not "tubby" either.
I like as long a tone as possible, but still crisp, and the Pearl stand is the only one that's been able to do it (for stand mounting).

The RIMS works well too, but I think I actually get a longer note on the Pearl stand to be honest.
Not usually how it works, but that's what I get....

Back