My Omni arrived!

Solaris

Silver Member
So this bad boy finally came in last week. Got to use it straight up this weekend for a recording session. I have to say it's one of most easily crashable cymbals I've played, this thing opens up at the drop of a hat. While the raw, hammered centre portion does offer some defined, dark sticking and the bell is pretty big, I feel this cymbal could do with a bit more body overall. But with saying that, this cymbal still serves its purpose of being a washy, crashable ride.

Now without further ado, here are some snaps...

Attachments

• omni 1.jpg
    omni 1.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 872
  • omni 2.jpg
    omni 2.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 877
  • omni 3.jpg
    omni 3.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 875
  • omni 4.jpg
    omni 4.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 866
Looks cool. You got the right size I think. The smaller did not sound very good to me. Have fun with it!

Was just playing around with one of these on Saturday at the Tacoma GC. You know, I'm not a crash-ride kinda guy at all, but I could totally get into these cymbals for certain things... good crash, good ride. It was kind of weird.

Awesome! So jealous.
I'm wondering if you'd be able to give me your opinion on something. I am considering the 22" Omni, but chances are I won't be able to try before I buy. Now, the reason I want it is to try and use it for gigging as the only cymbal on my kit (except hats). This means there will be sections played where I'd be leading on it, crashing. What is your opinion on this? Do you think it would work? Seeing as its 22" my only real concern, and thing I'm looking for answer for, is whether you think it would be too loud? Any help is greatly appreciated, enjoy your Omni :)

I think this would be great for a one cymbal setup Mr Flapjack. As far as volume goes - this is a pretty thin cymbal, and while it's big, it's not going to overpower the rest of the music. I bought blind on this one as well, and I don't regret my purchase.

I'll record a few samples sometime this week hopefully and post em up.

Cheers for the comments guys!

Take or leave the omni, the real gem in your setup is the fat beat hats :p

I think this would be great for a one cymbal setup Mr Flapjack. As far as volume goes - this is a pretty thin cymbal, and while it's big, it's not going to overpower the rest of the music. I bought blind on this one as well, and I don't regret my purchase.

I'll record a few samples sometime this week hopefully and post em up.

Cheers for the comments guys!

Thanks a lot, look forward to the sound samples :)

Oh I forgot to mention - I've made a few changes to the kit. I went up a size with my roto and rack tom - I'm now running a 10" roto and a 12" rack. I was missing the deeper sounds, much like this combination better. I've also slightly rearranged my cymbals. I'm liking my 19" xplosion crash lower and closer to my ride, much easier to get to and crash/ride on.

Getting an 18' omni this summer. A friend of mine works at a music-store, so I got it cheap.

Back