Recommendations for a good metal snare for Jazz

Hi,

I have been playing a wood shell for years for Jazz and I want to experiment with a metal snare for Jazz (of course, still keeping the wood shell)

What is a good recommendation for a mid-range budget metal snare for jazz, assuming a 14" x 5.5" size ?

1) What kind of metal ? Steel ? Brass ? Why ?
2) What brand and model of Pearl, Tama, Yamaha ? Since these are the mainstream brands available in my neck of the woods ?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

If you insist on a metal snare, I'd start out by checking copper - its definitely warmer and less 'ringy' than steel or brass tend to be. There's a pretty nice Roy Haynes signature by Yamaha (http://nl.yamaha.com/nl/products/mu...s/snaredrum_signature/sd655arh/?mode=overview), but they also have a copper shell in their mid-range snaredrums (http://nl.yamaha.com/nl/products/mu...tal/copper_shell_snare_drums_s/?mode=overview). Otherwise, brass or aluminium will definitely work - its all in the heads, the hoops (don't use die-cast on metal if you're looking for old school jazz sounds) and of course your playing.

Old Sonor D 444, 14x5 , seamless steel shell, unbelievable warm, sensitive and crisp.
I have one side by my Radioking. It is in my eyes a lot better then Ludwig Supraphonic but very difficult to find. Try on ebay or craigslist. It should not be very expensive.

This is confusing. Seems I am getting conflicting views. I want a warm sound that wood shells give me BUT I have never tried a metal snare before

So is steel warm or not ? I dont want the ringiness. There are 2 views here. What are the other experts saying ?

I would seriously look into a Pearl Sensitone aluminum snare drum for Rock or Jazz.

The tone of this beaded aluminum shell drum is very articulate and somewhat dry - at the same time almost woody in nature.
Great all around snare drum that I believe would translate very nicely into a jazz setting.

So is steel warm or not ? I dont want the ringiness.

Why are you considering a metal snare if you want it to sound like wood? If you want wood, stay with wood. Steel snares ring, specially with triple flanged hoops. Thats actually what gives them some of their charm. I used a 4514 Pearl steel snare in my college jazz big band way back in the 70's. I used the same snare a couple of years ago for a couple of club gigs. I was contemplating changing to die-cast hoops. But a drummer friend who heard me in my recent gigs talked me out if it, saying the snare sounded fine, and that the change might rob it of its character.

Steel snares are fun to play because they have many, often boisterous sounds. I don't see any problem integrating these sounds into jazz.

All snares ring. Wood, metal, cheese, whatever. If you don't want it to ring, play it in the center with no rim. It's your touch that defines what sound you want from the drum, the shell material is secondary to your heads and touch. Aluminum is dryer but still rings. That ring is what makes a snare drum sound like a snare drum from 20 feet away. Embrace the ring! Or muffle it out and castrate your drum.
Sorry, but I'm a defender of ring. It's the best part of a drum tone IMO. That ring gives your snare a lively sound, instead of boxy and limp.
My recommendation for a metal snare would be brass or aluminum.

I don't know if Pearl still makes the Sensitone Custom Brass Alloy, but that is one great sounding snare drum that speaks jazz very nicely. And it's cheap!

One of my favorite snare drums. Very well made. You can't go wrong.

And Larry's absolutely right. All snare drums ring. How much they ring is up to you.

Hmm, no one's with me on copper? Too bad... Still, a bronze alloy would be nice, definitely warmer than steel or even brass.

I just want to try a metal snare for jazz for size. I am still keeping my maple snare. I just dont want to be turned-off by metal if I choose the wrong alloy.

Seems like consensus is that aluminium is a good alloy since it is the, or one of, the softest around and therefore drier.

Thoughts ?

Joe Morello used COB Ludwig's during the DB Quartet's heyday. The 5" Super/Supraphonic are just wonderful drums.

-Ryan

Back