I've made a horrific mistake....

Lukey G

Hey guys,

I've made a really bad mistake.... I owned a Mapex Meridian Maple kit and then decided to switch to a 'Gretsch Brooklyn'. Now I know you may all be thinking well this is no bad move... but when I heard this in the drum-shop it had a lot of attack and it really felt like it hit you every time you played one of the drums. (Despite the fact that the general opinion is that it's a warm-sounding kit).

Now.... I have it and it's just not doing it for me at all. I'm mostly a guy who plays progressive rock kind of stuff, but I am pretty versatile. When I hit it there just seems to be nothing like it had before when I heard it in the shop, it's now become very warm sounding and I've tried many different tunings with it to try and at least get some attack.

Please help me.... what do I do..... I should still get decent money for it... still in tip-top condition and I think I need to move it to a more-loving home and get a kit which is better suited for me.

Any thoughts/help appreciated on my dilemma.

Attack, or at least what's generally perceived as attack, is probably the easiest element of a kit sound to enhance or subdue. What you're suffering from is a change of room. Room sound plays a huge part in your drum sound. If you can clarify exactly what you mean by "attack" (brightness, head slap/click, how immediately the fundamental presents itself (the real definition of attack when applied to drums), etc), many here can help you with that.

Hey guys,

I've made a really bad mistake.... I owned a Mapex Meridian Maple kit and then decided to switch to a 'Gretsch Brooklyn'. Now I know you may all be thinking well this is no bad move... but when I heard this in the drum-shop it had a lot of attack and it really felt like it hit you every time you played one of the drums. (Despite the fact that the general opinion is that it's a warm-sounding kit).

Now.... I have it and it's just not doing it for me at all. I'm mostly a guy who plays progressive rock kind of stuff, but I am pretty versatile. When I hit it there just seems to be nothing like it had before when I heard it in the shop, it's now become very warm sounding and I've tried many different tunings with it to try and at least get some attack.

Please help me.... what do I do..... I should still get decent money for it... still in tip-top condition and I think I need to move it to a more-loving home and get a kit which is better suited for me.

Any thoughts/help appreciated on my dilemma.

Hi! How long have you owned the Brooklyn kit and what heads are on it currently? Have you tried changing heads and the tuning?

I think your use of the word"horrific"....just MAY be a little over the top....drama wise.

Like KIS says,attack is one of the easiest things to address and customize to your taste.

He also says that the sound of your kit will differ ,depending on the room,and the acoustics of that room,which is absolutely true,hence the term"tune for the room".

We promise that the world isn't coming to and end in a horrendous,gastly,grisly and hellacious way.Gretsch Brooklyns have a fairly wide range with different head selection, muffling and proper tuning.

The sky isn't falling.:)

Steve B

Attack, or at least what's generally perceived as attack, is probably the easiest element of a kit sound to enhance or subdue. What you're suffering from is a change of room. Room sound plays a huge part in your drum sound. If you can clarify exactly what you mean by "attack" (brightness, head slap/click, how immediately the fundamental presents itself (the real definition of attack when applied to drums), etc), many here can help you with that.

Thanks for the reply, the fundamental note is fine, you hit it and it goes near enough straight away.

However the type of "attacking" tone I want the drum to have is just not presenting itself. At least from the stuff I've been trying tune wise, also using IDrumTech as some guidance. Part of me thinks it's the coated head, I've never played with these before and I honestly can't quite remember whether when I tried them in the shop they were coated or not. (I honestly don't think they were). I'm more after the fat and punchy sound.

Hi! How long have you owned the Brooklyn kit and what heads are on it currently? Have you tried changing heads and the tuning?

Hello there, probably owned them 6 weeks, not played on them a great deal, I know changing the heads would probably be the logical idea, but I'm not sure whether I should because for good heads I'm going to be paying quite a bit of money and I'm still not 100% convinced whether this kit is for me.

I should of not been fooled by the impression I got off it in the shop! But it really did sound beastly, such a fat and punchy sound.

The heads currently on it are Gretsch Permatone coated, made actually by Remo I believe.

I know changing the heads would probably be the logical idea, but I'm not sure whether I should because for good heads I'm going to be paying quite a bit of money and I'm still not 100% convinced whether this kit is for me.

Just rehead the same tom a couple of times, then do the kit when you've zeroed in on what you like.

Hello there, probably owned them 6 weeks, not played on them a great deal, I know changing the heads would probably be the logical idea, but I'm not sure whether I should because for good heads I'm going to be paying quite a bit of money and I'm still not 100% convinced whether this kit is for me.

hmmm, not played it much....Give it time. Also if you change heads and that doesn't work, you can always keep your new heads and sell kit with the former heads. Your coated heads are enhancing a 'warm' sound, though not by that much. You may want to try clear heads, and maybe even pinstripes.

Also most important question, have you recorded your kit from 'out there' away from the set? It may sound better, and far more what you want, 'out there'. I have a bass drum that I really do not like the sound of from my seat, but in front of the kit it sounds exactly like what i want.

Just a suggestion, no need to panic, ...after all its got that great Gretsch sound!

Part of me thinks it's the coated head, I've never played with these before and I honestly can't quite remember whether when I tried them in the shop they were coated or not. (I honestly don't think they were). I'm more after the fat and punchy sound.
Coated heads are warmer sounding. Exactly what you're complaining about. Spend some time reading about different type heads. Perhaps you want clear Pinstripe, PS3, or Controlled Sound heads. G2s over G1s.​

Just rehead the same tom a couple of times, then do the kit when you've zeroed in on what you like.

Yes do this. Just re-head one drum (tom). See if you can get that one drum to sound punchy.

My guess is a G1 uncoated on the bottom. G2 coated on the top. Tune the top head to a slightly different note than the bottom head. That will give you that "be'owe" sound.

Luke, "Oops, I ran over the cat" is a horrific mistake. You just need to take the time to make friends with your new instrument :)
Running over my cat would be no mistake, my cat hates me, but that's for another forum. But absolutely take a bit of time, I guess they sound different to what your used to, to the old kit, but isn't that the reason you wanted a new one in the first place? And try playing it with a band, it may sound completely different with a bass and guitar in the mix.

Yes do this. Just re-head one drum (tom). See if you can get that one drum to sound punchy.

My guess is a G1 uncoated on the bottom. G2 coated on the top. Tune the top head to a slightly different note than the bottom head. That will give you that "be'owe" sound.

i would DEF. try some clear batter heads like hollywood mention

evans - G2 or EC2

remo - Emp's or Pinstrips

Part of me thinks it's the coated head, I've never played with these before and I honestly can't quite remember whether when I tried them in the shop they were coated or not. (I honestly don't think they were).

The heads currently on it are Gretsch Permatone coated, made actually by Remo I believe.
You've just answered your own question. Coated heads will reduce/muffle the high frequencies associated with a defined stick slap. Then factor in that the heads supplied are of low quality compared to main line heads from the big 3, & you've solved the "problem". Just because a head supplied with a kit says "made by ------ " doesn't mean it's of comparable quality.

Try Clear G12s. IMO, the perfect balance of sustain and awesome attack. They last (if you play with respectful technique), even though they're single ply. I'd also try either G1s or G12s as a resonant head. Like many are saying- try it on one drum, probably your middle tom, and then decide from there.

Don't try anything. Go back to the freaking shop and see what heads are on that kit. Then play it again. Get those heads. And remember... You liked it enough there you dumped the kit you had to buy it.

This is kind of a Mr. Obvious moment.

Mapex Saturns

Don't try anything. Go back to the freaking shop and see what heads are on that kit. Then play it again. Get those heads. And remember... You liked it enough there you dumped the kit you had to buy it.

This is kind of a Mr. Obvious moment.

Oh gosh ! I thought he heard the drums at the store, liked them and brought THOSE drums.

Scheese, I give up............

Relax it's just a change in the room.you went from a crappy drum kit to real one.put some remo ambassador heads on it and you be one step closer to being a mature drummer...

Relax it's just a change in the room.you went from a crappy drum kit to real one.put some remo ambassador heads on it and you be one step closer to being a mature drummer...

Didn't realise Mapex Meridians were fake drums... no such thing as a bad drumkit, just different, a mature drummer would know that.

I just got my new kit and when I played it in the store it sounded fantastic and what I was after, got it back home and the blasted thing won't stop ringing, just rings for days. This is because the drum shop floor room is absolutely massive in comparison to the drum room I've got it in, it's taken me a while, but I'm finally getting it to a decent state. Just keep tinkering away, I can understand being a bit reserved in lashing out for some new heads, so just get 1 as people have suggested, see if that nails it down.

When I buy a kit, it usually takes me up to a year to truely find the sweet spot with it, trying difdferent heads and tunings.

At 6 weeks it's not even run in in car terms. Cut the poor thing a bit of slack.... Spend some time on it and get to know it better- you can get pretty much any sound out of any drum kit if you want and are prepared to experiment.

Back