Don Henley

M

Matt Bo Eder

I had to ask the question because the musician side of me says he and Glenn Frey wrote alot of my own soundtrack when I was growing up. I mean, the Eagles have probably outsold most bands we talk about here, but for some reason I get this impression that nobody considers Don Henley an actual drummer.

You'd think we'd see his name as much since everyone argues about Ringo being a good drummer so much. Or Neil Peart for that matter, right?

I think if there was ever a guy who played for the song, Don has got to be up there as much as Ringo. His drumming is not flashy, and I don't think he ever took a solo, but would the Eagles sound be the same if he didn't play the drums?

Just by virtue of the songs, I'd say he was an influence on me. He's kinda' like the mold for David Robinson from the Cars - very deliberate playing for the song, which I also like about David Robinson. The Cars would be very different if they had a drummer who spiced up what he played every night. The Eagles, although boring in a live sense, really gave the audience what it wanted to hear, does that make their drummer irrelevant on this forum?

Just thinking out loud. Again.

I struggle to think of a time when Don Henley wouldn't be relevant.

I get this impression that nobody considers Don Henley an actual drummer.

I remember a thread on this very topic actually. Some knucklehead suggested that perhaps he wasn't. As I recall, the suggestion was pretty quickly dismissed..........as it well should have been.

I've always considered Don to be a great drummer and singer. When I say great I mean that he made great music, not that he could out drum all the others. When you're the drummer for a band that is selling millions of records, probably many times over, you must be doing it right. I've be playing Witchy Woman with my band, and if you listen close the drums grow with the song. Each verse is a little more involved. I think it's well played. I think he was the right drummer for a great band.

I love Don Henley. Life in the Fast Lane has a great drum part, plus he's the lead singer at the same time, which is not easy to do at all.

I think he's hugely relevant. I agree with your assessment about the way he played for the song. His drumming is absolutely void of ego. Probably had a lot to do with the fact he was writing and singing the material, so he was focusing on delivering his vision for the song and not worrying about playing cool drum licks.

I was admiring his time just the other day when an Eagles song came on the radio (I think it was I Can't Tell You Why). So solid, so tasteful. Hey, if you provided the rhythm for one of the most popular and influential bands of the rock era, you must have been doing something right.

I think of Don in the same way I do Max Weinberg. Except Don did the writing. Max plays the parts with no flare but solid rhythm and that's his job. Don may have a little more flash if he wasn't trying to sing as he played. But he does his job well as Ringo did and Max does and that is his role. I'm sure if he or Max were to do other things the playing would be a proficient as needed. Max did more than just keep the beat on Late Night.

I remember Modern Drummer getting a ton of hate mail back in the '80s after running a cover story on him, so this isn't exactly news. It was a crock then just as it is now. Don was the man. Who cares what some pontificating drummy drummers think?

Henley is the truth and any smart drummer would listen to how he approaches music
Amen to that. Don is the musician I'd most like to be. I care not that he's off the "hip" radar as a drummer, & I'm pretty sure Don cares even less. To me, he stands fully as one of the best drummers in the last several decades even without his other attributes. Add his other skills to the list, & he's close to peerless.

I think it's no accident that those involved in writing some of the strongest songs of modern times, are also some of the strongest song drummers of modern times.

Some of his later solo works feature drumming well worth checking out too. I especially like the way he integrates programmed drums into his songs. Deferring to obviously programmed drum parts tells you everything you need to know about how big a part ego plays in his drumming choices. I think few could be that objective.

Agree with all the sentiments here. He did what needed to be done for the song. And that makes him a great drummer.

Watched extra's on the Bad Co.: Merchants of Cool DVD. Simon Kirke is considered one of the greatest drummers in the world. He is. Not flashy. But he hits the right drum at the right time for the song. Love his playing.

It's really a shame that the crop of transparent drummers, (great description Ant btw) including guys like Henley, Ringo, Watts, Rudd, Keltner...it seems like they need to be defended from time to time, which to me is backwards.

We need drummers from all disciplines to show us all of the possibilities of the drum set. No one drummer can do all that. All drummers have their strong points. One of Don's strong points is that he doesn't feel the need to make the drum set stick out. He's mature and he gets it. I for one appreciate that, I don't like in your face drums either. Leave it to the technicians to drop your jaw, I'd rather have chills up my spine. He's a team player. Imagine Carmine Appice as the Eagles drummer. *shudders*

I've always thought he was a great, tasteful drummer

His style, and the ability to sing well.........reminds me a lot of Levon Helm..........both great drummers and songwriters

I've always thought he was a great, tasteful drummer

His style, and the ability to sing well.........reminds me a lot of Levon Helm..........both great drummers and songwriters

Good God I forgot about Levon. I wasn't a Band fan, but Mr. Helm is one of the greats too! My apologies.

There was a point in the 80's during Don's solo career when I had to remind my classmates that he was the drummer from the Eagles, the same way I had reminded them that Phil Collins was the drummer from Genesis.

Those who would say that Don is not relevant are likely those who do not understand the concept of drumming for the song, those infamous style over substance characters. He's never going to win any prog or fusion polls. But he doesn't need to. He defined groove and character for a generation of musicians, not just drummers. He deserves some respect.

I tried to remember Levon Helms name earlier im my post only to say he fit the same mold. thanks for bringing him into the mix of great drummers.

So, how by all that is holy, do the drums on the studio version of "Heartache Tonight" sound so dreadful?

DH has a writing credit, the Eagles are credited as producers and yet the drums sound dire.

FWIW, I like the Eagles and I like Don Henley's drumming.

Off to see them next month. Yay!

Saw the Eagles few years back at the Wells Fargo Center, a big indoor venue in Phila. Joe Walsh was with them. They had another drummer on a different set at first. Don came out about 3 or 4 songs in. I felt bad for the first drummer. Joe was clearly getting on him about something. The guy sounded fine to me but Joe was clearly unhappy, yelling and gesturing. Joe kicked ass that night, he really made the show for me, but I still think you shouldn't do that stuff onstage.

When Don came out it was like he was the main attraction, but not pompous or anything. He sang and drummed as smooth as he does live as on record. There are choppy players and there are players who go for smoothness. Don goes for smoothness and seamlessness...and his drumming just caresses you as it goes by. His voice is smooth too. It all fits really well. He's got his own thing going on. He's no hot dog and that's just fine with me.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that Don Henley is one of my absolute favorite singers.

The Eagles Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 was named best selling album of the century. With the current state of the music business and sales that record may never be broken. I have nothing but respect for Henley as a songwriter, lyricist, singer and drummer. He wrote, contributed to, and sang songs that could stand on their own two legs. His playing never got in the way of the music or the story of each song. As one part of the Eagles, Henley developed and maintained a loyal multi-generational fan base over several decades. We should all be that fortunate. Respect.

So, how by all that is holy, do the drums on the studio version of "Heartache Tonight" sound so dreadful?

Ever try playing it? Not so so simple as they sound, especially the bits at the end.

I love Don Henleys' drumming, it totally fit the band.

Back