Remo Vintage A's

I ordered a set for my toms. Should get them in a couple of days. I'll let you guys know how they sound.

Bump

How those A's working for you guys?

Sorry to dig up such an oldie, but I love these heads. I put them on the batter side of my 13 and 16's from a late 60s Ludwig kit a few years back and they are the only heads that make sense now. I'm using regular coated amb's on the reso side too, and its a good combo for me.

I'd love for Remo to make a 22" vintage a for my batter side!

I had one on my snare for a while, and the school kit has them as well. They're good heads, and I liked them a lot on my snare when I first tried them, but I think the Ambassador X / X14 (or Evans G12/14) do a better job of the "in-between single and double ply" head kind of sound. They sound great on a kit, though- very versatile (even though, again, I prefer G12s or Amb. Xs).

I lost interest in my black beauty around the time I fitted a vintage A... much prefer the modern single ply ambassador on the snare.

I'm sure it's nice on the toms though.

I just sent the following email to Remo. It's pretty pathetic:

if you extended the Vintage A line to include 22", I'd be:

1. significantly happier
2. have the sickest possible sound for my 22" 60s Ludwig (based on what they do for my snare and toms)
3. cry less
4. be a better husband (difficult since I'm already pretty awesome)
5. be a better father* (see #4)
6. promise to call my aging parents more often

pleeeeeeaaasssssseeeeee!!!!!

Last edited:
Fantastic heads and I have just put a set on my Gretsch catalina jazz kit.

As others have said they are warm and give a louder and more focussed tone than the ambassadors!

I'll chime in too, I'm using a Vintage A on my Gretsch Catalina snare and I love it. More durable than a standard Coated Ambassador and doesn't ring as much.

I recently purchased a remo vintage ambassador head for a Ludwig LM402 snare. I didn't really like the sound so I put it on my Tama SLP Black Brass snare and it sounds great. I ended up putting a remo coated emperor on the Ludwig snare. I'm a remo guy but I guess it just depends on what sound your looking for. I have mostly Remo Ambassador heads on my other snares, which reminds me I need to stop buying more snare drums.

Yep, another vote here for the Remo Vintage A on my 5x14 chrome over brass snare though I play it with no muffling.

Last edited:
I have a set of Ayotte drums (with triple flaned hoops):
Remo coated Ambassador on my 8" tom
Remo coated VINTAGE Ambassador on my 10" tom
and a Remo coated Emperor on my 12" tom
I can't recommend this highly enough!

Back