Kumu four piece.

Beautiful kit! Looks and sound.

I'm not real big on the porting of drum shells, but it doesn't seem to have affected the quality of sound from your kick... I play with a full reso head as well, (and just mic front and back.. I may try the internal mic'ing to see how it goes), because I love a full rich sound from the kick.

Cheers! (and congrats!)

Well, a ten-incher certainly floats my boat, brother! :)

I love a good 10" tom... My kit is, (essentially), a 9 pc and I love having drums all over.. but a lot of the time I play it as a 4 pc... 12" snare, 10" tom, 13" tom (as a floor), 24" kick (!?!?!?!?!?).... I really need to get a 22 or a 20.. LOL

This set is truley amazing. the wood hoops are so frikkin sexy. I dont believe you when you say you used a single sm 57 to record the whole kit. It has a uniform cardioid pattern... which basically isolates one source. you would have to work with the possition of the mic for hours to pick up the kit like that.

they look and sound absolutely amazing i'd never heard of them but i'm definitely going to check them out and save up!

asombrado_mini.jpg

I say the same thing that this guy : WOW

Nice, but I don't like the hole in the kick, looks like it was shipped by UPS.

Where did you place the mic?

I dont believe you when you say you used a single sm 57 to record the whole kit. It has a uniform cardioid pattern... which basically isolates one source. you would have to work with the possition of the mic for hours to pick up the kit like that.

Believe it or not, but I did use an SM57 for the whole kit. I placed it about a meter (three feet) away from the kit, to the height of the kick drum's top edge, facing towards the snare drum and the kick's hoop. I have spent a few moments figuring out the best placement for a single mic, and during the years of experimenting this position has proven to be the best option. The mic's pick-up pattern isn't too tight from that distance, and it records everything very nicely -- that is, if your kit balance is OK.

Wow!!! Just stunning!! I'm not really into the wood hoops like that's on the Ayoette's, but I LOVE the hoops on this kit. 110% Class is what this kit says to me. Kumu obviously pays very close attention to detail...Cool idea on the port hole on the bass drum. Now that you have had the kit for awhile are you still enjoying them? I would have to say this is my favorite kit on this forum (including my own).

Believe it or not, but I did use an SM57 for the whole kit. I placed it about a meter (three feet) away from the kit, to the height of the kick drum's top edge, facing towards the snare drum and the kick's hoop. I have spent a few moments figuring out the best placement for a single mic, and during the years of experimenting this position has proven to be the best option. The mic's pick-up pattern isn't too tight from that distance, and it records everything very nicely -- that is, if your kit balance is OK.

I think the hole in the side of the bass drum looks cool and is functional. Certainly, it can't be worse then boring a hole in the bass drum and then bolting 25 pounds of hardware onto it. It also allows you to have an intact reso head and the richer sound that provides.

I think the hole in the side of the bass drum looks cool and is functional. Certainly, it can't be worse then boring a hole in the bass drum and then bolting 25 pounds of hardware onto it. It also allows you to have an intact reso head and the richer sound that provides.

What's with you and the word "bolting"? Do you receive royalties from a bolt company every time you say it? Get over it man.

Wave, I'd missed the sound sample at the bottom of your post on my earlier visit. Very nice playing! subtle, tasteful, and restrained... not at all bolty!

Back