When mistakes happen live.

I play every week on a TV show for over a million people. We tape two shows a week with under rehearsed guest acts and have never been given the chance for a second take EVER. So obviously we do it Bo's way all the time. So far I've discovered that most of the ones who act supremely rude in live situations have substance abuse problems.

Then there's those Buddy Rich stories my dad likes to share from time to time lol.

We have a recording of Buddy floating around somewhere of him berating his band backstage or on the bus or something. I have to admit, at least he did it off stage (for the most part, right?). But I think guys like him are a different case - it's his band, he's paying the bills, everything goes his way, because the audience is paying to see him. With that in mind, I think it very professional that he doesn't fly off at the band during a performance. It's these in the middle people I have a problem with....

Great article.Those are examples are of clear professionalism and class,can never be overstated.In the first story,I think clearly that this "star"has some major self esteem problems,that she addresses by trying to make others feel as badly about themselves,as she does about herself.That guitar player handing her a rose was just perfect.

I have been in situations where the band I was in used employed both methods.Stopping the tune at the very beginning,making a joke out of it,and starting again,and just keep going and "if it sounded bad the first time,it will sound at least as bad when we do it again".I find though,that the latter, usually works better when playing original material.

Hey,its life..we all make mistakes in real time.Some we admit,some we say"who me?"

Steve B

hmm Grace under pressure, tricky. I get frustrated with the guys I play with (and I'm sure they get frustrated with me) the tempo gets pushed/pulled a lot, I used to adjust to keep pace with it but now I don't I stick to the tempo with grim determination, mainly because I'm concerned its to my detrement if I don't.

More to the point, I don't mind offering myself up as a sacrificial lamb but I don't want to forced onto that stone table.

Back