Questions about 14x7" size snares

Hotstixlix

I have a chance to purchase a 14 x 7-inch Yamaha Custom Absolute Maple snare with the easy-change lug hooks. The drum is about 2 years old and the seller wants $240. I have never used a snare deeper than 5 1/2 deep and am not familiar with the 6.5 - 7-inch size.

Is there any reason I should consider a drum that is deeper than the shallower ones I have been using, and since the MSRP and actual prices (around $600+) offered by the retailers is much higher than the asking price (firm price, BTW), would this be a good drum to add to my collection? I have never owned or played a 6.5 or 7-inch drum, so what's the big deal (if any) about this particular drum, other than the Yamaha quality, construction that includes cast alloy hoops, and the ease of head replacement due to the ingenious design of the lugs? I play mainly in big-band practice sessions, with occasional non-paid BB gigs.

The drum is very light, BTW, which was a surprise. Here is the CL ad:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/2978515458.html

the cool thing about a deeper shell size like that is that it takes more energy to excite the wires since there's more space between the heads. that slight delay, along with other factors from the shell being deeper, gives it a fatter sound. i'm not familiar with that particular drum, but if the price seems right i'd say jump on it, that sounds like a fairly good deal.

I have a 14x7 vented Legend Maple snare and I LOVE it. Put wood hoops and a Trick multi step throw off on it too. I like it more than the Tama Portnoy drum I have. I get a fat sound out of the Legend, but articulate. I never thought id have a drum deeper than 5.5" so explore!

I have a 7x14 Noble and Cooley Classic SS drum with a maple shell. The solid steam bent shell is very reminiscent of the old Slingeland Radio Kings which were used extensively during the big band's heyday .You should be able to use this Yamaha drum in a variety of playing situations including Big Band. Although, it's not going to 'feel' like a 5x14 metal shell drum.

The trend over the years was that "jazz" drums got smaller in both diamater and depth. I would say you are getting a good deal on that drum provided it has no issues.

Attachments

• 4rksnares.gif
    4rksnares.gif
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,649
I really like deeper snares. I played a 14x8" maple snare with die cast hoops for a number of years and really enjoyed the range of sounds it was capable of. Different heads and different tunings can really alter the character of the sound, but I always loved the amount of body I got at any tuning.

Enjoy the drum, and have fun experimenting!

First let me say that even if you don't keep that drum, you could easily sell it for more than you paid for it. That is an AMAZING price.

I have the exact same drum (paid $550 used at Long & McQuade) and it is truly fantastic and versitile. It has a wram and fat sound at a medium tuning and a nice crack and pop at a higher tuning. Nice thing with a 7" deep drum, you have the ability to go either way- not so with a shallower shell.

If it's in great condition, run don't walk. You won't regret it.

Back