How to get more tone out of your snare?

gdrum1124

I'm looking to get more of a drum sound rather than a lot of snare response. how do I achieve this? Trim down some of the snare wires? I currently have a 20 strand.

You can try dropping the tension on the two lugs either side of the snares on the bottom head by 1/4-1/2 turn.

Also there are snare wires that have the middle 4 or so removed, I would try tuning first.

Last edited:
Proper tuning is the biggest, you will get a nice thump you feel in your chest when you tap the middle of a tuned snare with the snares off. Also adjust snare tension, tighter will be better as long as its not choking the drum, also a piece of paper stuck in the snares will make them less responsive without chopping them. PS don't over-tighten the snare stand either it can also choke the sound.

I tried all of these methods. I know it is the drum, but the specific sound I am trying to achieve is Justin Brown's snare sound off of the song Confessions to My Unborn Daughter by Ambrose Akinmusire. I want to get as close to that sound as I possibly can with my drum.

I tried all of these methods. I know it is the drum, but the specific sound I am trying to achieve is Justin Brown's snare sound off of the song Confessions to My Unborn Daughter by Ambrose Akinmusire. I want to get as close to that sound as I possibly can with my drum.

Justin uses a custom Craviotto 6×14 Maple Snare Drum. Hard to duplicate that type of quality. Are you using a wood drum? 6 or deeper? If so a coated head top and medium to tight tuned should get you in the ball park. Also try to over tighten the snare strainer on a medium tight bottom head (make sure it is centered) to deaden the bottom head and mute the snare wire a bit.

Back