Heads Up on Gibraltar Clamp SC-GCMAMC

MrLeadFoot

Silver Member
I bought 3 of these, along with 3 matching rack-side memory locks, and 3/4" memory locks for the clamp side. Approximately $45 for each combo, so imagine by dismay to see that the lot of clamps have NO MEMORY LOCK NOTCHES!

Here's the Mickey-Mouse job I had to do, just to make their use somewhat "acceptable".

gcmamc1.jpg

gcmamc2.jpg

gcmamc3.jpg

I've already contacted Gibraltar about this, but have not yet heard back. They SPECIALIZE in this stuff, so you would think they'd get this right. I hope I just got a bad lot, but I doubt it.

Which begs this question: I have $800+ worth of clamps on my rack, most of which are road series models, which are all black. This is the first time I went chrome, as it was my first step toward swapping all my clamps out for chrome. Does anyone know whether or not ALL chrome series clamps are "memory-lock" INcompatible on the multi-clamp side? I'm starting wonder if I should move toward DW clamps instead.

Last edited:
I had to look up images of the older, black Power Series and Road Series multiclamps I've owned to verify that the non-pipe end had any provision for memory locks. Indeed they do. Learn something new every day.

Having said that, when I have found myself using memory locks on that side of the clamp, it was almost purely as a height reference if I had to uncouple the cymbal or tom holder - not because I was afraid of the holder shimmying or rotating in the bulldog-like grip of the multiclamp.

True story: one Road series super multi-clamp has held one or two floating floor toms, and up to three large cymbals to a cymbal stand on my kit for several years now. I have never used any memory locks where it attaches to the cymbal stand to keep it from rotating, and have never felt the need. It hasn't gone anywhere.

Probably it's simply a cost-cutting measure in that the likelihood of that part of the clamp failing to prevent rotation is not very likely.

Now, if it were the pipe-holding part of the clamp that hadn't gotten the memory lock cutout, I *would* be concerned... I do believe in round rack pipe slippage.

I get some slip with the super road series (chrome) clamps, but it may be that the pipe is dirty.

Another "product failure" is the Gibraltar rack accessory clamp ( SC-GRAPM ). The thing is made from, what looks like, a memory lock... with no notches for add a memory lock to it!

Gibraltar should indeed know better because all their rack tubes are chrome and everything eventually slips on chrome tubing, which is why I've stuck with my Tama Power Tower brushed stainless tubes all these years. On brushed steel, you don't need memory locks to hold things in place; you just need them to "remember" positions for you, when you remove clamps for transport, hence the name "memory lock", But Gibraltar's tubes are all chrome, and anything that puts torque or weight on a clamp on chrome tubing always eventually slips, so they always used to put memory notches on all clamps. Obviously that's not the case any more. DW's more expensive, but I'm looking at their stuff now. Of course, some of their designs make for bulkier clamps one some pieces; hopefully between the two companies, we'll be able to find function where the other is lacking. ;-)

Back