How do I practice this ?

Mukund

Hey everyone !

First of all,sorry for posting two threads at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjibYYhIsAk

Okay so in this video,the part from 0:16 to 0:29
I can play the hand and foot part but without the extra snare hits.
I know to get the extra snare hits and bass coordination its all about practicing over and over again but how do I practice?
Are there any exercises I can practice to achieve that hand and foot coordination?

-
Mukund

Transcribe it. Then practice a beat's-worth at a time, like a little rudiment. Then start to put it together.

That is a single handed roll. Here is a video of Jojo Mayer explaining it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVq_EmL2-9E

As far as learning new things like this, it's always best to remember to start as slow as possible and then work your way up to speed. There's this free, awesome software called BestPractice that slows down the tempo of songs but keeps the pitch the same. It's mainly used by guitar players, but it could be a very helpful tool if you use it. Hope that helps!

this is not at all what he is doing...he is just playing 3 finger strokes with the accent on the 3rd which falls on the backbeat for all of them but the second where he does 4

That's how it looks to me too :)

Fastest way to develop this is to practice a triple stroke roll as free strokes making sure all three notes bounce back nicely to above 90 degrees stick angle. Also practice the french grip because this requires a lot of finger control.

Well I guess I'm stupid. Sorry for giving bad information. I didn't realize a triple stroke with one hand and a single handed roll were that different. I also posted this at like 4:00 in the morning so forgive me.

Well I guess I'm stupid. Sorry for giving bad information. I didn't realize a triple stroke with one hand and a single handed roll were that different. I also posted this at like 4:00 in the morning so forgive me.

don't call yourself stupid....thats not really fair at all

it's just that the roll that Jojo is displaying ....some call it a gravity blast and a number of different names.....is not what he is doing in the video

simple mistake ......we all make them ......me probably more than anyone on the planet :)

Although its possible that he is using fingers for that, i took a lesson with travis a year ago and he is very adamant about never using any finger strokes in his technique only wrist motion. To develop power and speed for wrist he said he got it using bare hand practice among other things. ditto on what others say tho, theres a transcription on it in the video or just transcribe it yourself! then push it up 5bpm at a time.

Although its possible that he is using fingers for that, i took a lesson with travis a year ago and he is very adamant about never using any finger strokes in his technique only wrist motion. To develop power and speed for wrist he said he got it using bare hand practice among other things. ditto on what others say tho, theres a transcription on it in the video or just transcribe it yourself! then push it up 5bpm at a time.

It looks very much like fingers to me, two finger stroke taps followed by a wrist or moeller accent. I do this with my right hand on the ride quite a lot.

I agree it's not the "one hand roll" that JoJo or Johnny Rabb uses. The one hand roll relies on using the rim of the drum as its fulcrum and the motion comes only from the elbow.

That's just odd that he never uses fingers, how would he ever utilize a freestroke or does he never use rebound?

I mean he's a great drummer for sure, just a little odd if he never uses rebound or finger control.

I guess you'd call that "some 16th notes with an accent at the end, played with one hand"; the really fancy one is a one handed four stroke ruff, open. The embellishment is the least important thing about the drum part there, but if you want to work it up, I would get the motion together sans the last note-- play the first three notes of the ruff + the fastest upstroke you can make at the end. Once the upstroke is together, adding the actual accented note will be easy. Use whatever technique will allow you to pick up the stick fast-- I'm not sure using fingers is the best way to do that. I don't think the lick is so fast that you can't get it together using all wrist.

Although its possible that he is using fingers for that, i took a lesson with travis a year ago and he is very adamant about never using any finger strokes in his technique only wrist motion.

you can clearly see him opening his hand and using fingers

Back