Bass Drum Mute

bonhamdrummer123

I was thinking about picking one up but I wasn't sure if they were worth it. Do they silence the sound well like the pads that go on a snare? Would it be just as effective to practice on this as on the normal head? I guess this would be better suited in the drum gear section...

The mute will make it feel much different, and the expierience I had with Vic Firth drum mutes is, while they work well on the snare, toms and cymbals the bass drum still has a good thump to it. Which is fine but if your trying to be silent it kinda doesn't fit that bill. I ended up returning mine because I couldn't take the feel of the mutes, I figured instead of playing on muted drums at night I'll just stick to the practice pad. I don't no how other brand's mutes are but I'd guess they are similar to Vic Firth's product.

i have a full set of the mutes and unlike the above poster, i quite like them! mine are by an estranged company, i cant even remember the name now, but they cut out a lot of rebound out of the drums aswell as *almost* totally muting them (the bass drum has a bit of boom to it and the snares rattle unless i fully loosen them. I like the lack of rebound cos it means i have to work that little bit harder to work on fills and the like, so when i remove the heads it feels almost easy.

I think that the best is to get a silent drumset, like the Rhythm Traveler. I find the drum muters a little uncomfortable for getting a feel. I love the natural sound of drums, and knowing that I have to be silent makes me piss off. So, I'd get an used RT set and use the silent heads. They have a lot of rebound, the sticks over-rebound IMO. But I solved that tuning the heads lower. The mute cymbals are great.

Back