Audix Mics?

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Dealt with a pretty good sound guy for the past couple of years at a special event our church puts on. I've heard him do some other events as well and his mix is incredible. My question is I've never heard much about Audix mics and that's what he used to mic my kit. I just got a guitar center ad and they had an Audix set in there with a D6 for the bass, D2(I think) for the toms and D4 for the floor.

Anyone have any feedback on Audix mics?

I'm familiar with Shure and Akg this one is new to me.

Fantastic set of mics. Not bettor or worse than the Sure or AKG but different.
The Beat 52, D6 and D112 debate goes on and on but they are all excellent quality and great sounding. The D6 just seems to have a little more click than the others so they may be describes as a slightly more modern sound.
I have a beta 52 and love it but not because it was better then the others. I got it because it’s about 100 dollars less here in Canada than the others and sounds just as good with “sure” reliability.

I am a HUGE fan of Audix mics. It seems like every new one I try out I end up buying. They are pretty aggressively EQ'd compared to other mics, so make sure you like "that sound" before you buy them. Here's what I can tell you from my experience...

D-6 sounds great on a bass drum
D-4 sounds great on 15"-18" toms
D-2 sounds great on 15"-12" toms
D-1 sounds great on 8"-12" toms
I-5 sounds exceptional on a snare.

I don't have any experience with their overheads, so you're on your own for that. I highly recommend Audix mics for drums.

Hope this helps.

i need a drum mic kit for my kick two toms and a snare bottom.
i already have a 57 and an i5 for snare top (im kinda ocd and will probably match the brand)

which set is better and why
Audix drum package
vs.
Shure drum package

i am familiar with shure but not so much with audix.
i do, however, like the small tom mics with the audix package.

i need a drum mic kit for my kick two toms and a snare bottom.
i already have a 57 and an i5 for snare top (im kinda ocd and will probably match the brand)

which set is better and why
Audix drum package
vs.
Shure drum package

i am familiar with shure but not so much with audix.
i do, however, like the small tom mics with the audix package.

Both links send you to the Audix mic package. It's a sign...

No, really, what Shure package are you looking at?

You do realize that the Audix package needs phantom power, right? I would go with dynamic mics (like the oh-so-desirable D series) for the drum kit, unless you're looking at getting overheads too. Condensers work great as overheads, but I prefer the simplicity and durability of dynamics as close-up mics on the drums.

I would recommend this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audix-DP5A-5-Piece-Drum-Mic-Kit?sku=270695

...even though it has an extra tom mic. If you can get a package consisting of I-5/D-2/D-4/D-6, that would be ideal.

Both links send you to the Audix mic package. It's a sign...

No, really, what Shure package are you looking at?

You do realize that the Audix package needs phantom power, right? I would go with dynamic mics (like the oh-so-desirable D series) for the drum kit, unless you're looking at getting overheads too. Condensers work great as overheads, but I prefer the simplicity and durability of dynamics as close-up mics on the drums.

I would recommend this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audix-DP5A-5-Piece-Drum-Mic-Kit?sku=270695

...even though it has an extra tom mic. If you can get a package consisting of I-5/D-2/D-4/D-6, that would be ideal.

That's the same kit that was in the guitar center ad that had me wondering.

The "D" series doesn't require phantom power, correct? I didn't read anything in that link you posted for the package the said it did.

this one

the phanton power is no problem. both our mixer and our firepod have it.

i like how the audix mics are insanely small compared to the 57s.
and i dont want to spend that much on mic package.

do yall know anything about those?

this one

The audix kit you were looking at required phantom power the shure's do not. It's a nice kit can't go wrong with that combo.

If it's got overheads, you'll need phantom power. Simple as that. Unless your condensers are battery-powered like the AKG C1000 has the capability to be.

this one

I don't have any experience with those particular Audix mics, so sorry, I can't be of any help. However, that Shure package is pretty good. You already have a 57 and an I-5 though, right? I would use those on snare (I-5) and tom (SM57) and get a kick mic (AKG D112 or Audix D-6) and another tom mic (Audix D-2, D-4, or Shure SM57).

If it's got overheads, you'll need phantom power. Simple as that. Unless your condensers are battery-powered like the AKG C1000 has the capability to be.

The audix kit you were looking at required phantom power the shure's do not. It's a nice kit can't go wrong with that combo.

i have phantom power...
it is NO problem.

I don't have any experience with those particular Audix mics, so sorry, I can't be of any help. However, that Shure package is pretty good. You already have a 57 and an I-5 though, right? I would use those on snare (I-5) and tom (SM57) and get a kick mic (AKG D112 or Audix D-6) and another tom mic (Audix D-2, D-4, or Shure SM57).

i can only use one of those mics the other is fro my brothers guitar cabinet.
the i5 is most likely gonna be the one on the snare 57 on guitar.

plus the audix mic kit just went down $40
i just dont like how enormous the 57 is on toms. it is still the size of a handheld.

really i just want to know whats better...

shure beta 52
vs
audix d6

and

shure sm57
vs
audix adx90

ive heard that the d6 sounds better and fuller than the 52. mf has reviews that say the adx90 is distorted and the 57 is thin.

when we last recorded, we did get a fuller snare sound with an i5 than a 57.

theres another thing i am concerned with. can i put an adx90 on the snare side?

really i just want to know whats better...

shure beta 52
vs
audix d6

and

shure sm57
vs
audix adx90

ive heard that the d6 sounds better and fuller than the 52. mf has reviews that say the adx90 is distorted and the 57 is thin.

when we last recorded, we did get a fuller snare sound with an i5 than a 57.

theres another thing i am concerned with. can i put an adx90 on the snare side?

D-6 is better for kick
SM-57 is better for toms (well, D-2s and D-4s are better on the toms, actually)
i5 is better for snare

Hope that clarifies?!?!?!

i just dont like how enormous the 57 is on toms. it is still the size of a handheld.

I knew a guy who had the same problem. He just didn't like having a giant 57 over his snare.

So he opened up the mic and discovered that about 2/3 of the mic is empty to make it big enough to hold onto. He then disconnected the XLR jack, sawed through the casing about halfway up, and reconnected the jack. Voila! Instant mini-57!

For my vote, I love my Audix pack. I don't have the same one that you're looking at, but I do still dig 'em. Sound men all over are switching to Audix over Shure, so you might take that into consideration.

caddywumpus... it absolutely clarifies.
thank you.

i use a big i5 on the snare and i have alot of room for that.
i just want the rack tom mic to sit lower and point away from the near crash.

will the adx90 do ok under the snare?

are these are good for recording and live?

EDIT: will toms sound big even with a small mic?

caddywumpus... it absolutely clarifies.
thank you.

i use a big i5 on the snare and i have alot of room for that.
i just want the rack tom mic to sit lower and point away from the near crash.

will the adx90 do ok under the snare?

are these are good for recording and live?

EDIT: will toms sound big even with a small mic?

I've never used the adx90 before, so I don't know about using it on toms or under the snare. I will say that the D series mics are small as well (about half the length of the i5), and they work excellently for recording and live.

ideally i would use...
*already own one i5

d6 (kick)
d4 (floor)
d2 (rack)
i5/i5 (snare bat/reso)

but i just dont have the money right now.

i might hold out. would that ^ be better than the shure package?

ideally i would use...
*already own one i5

d6 (kick)
d4 (floor)
d2 (rack)
i5/i5 (snare bat/reso)

but i just dont have the money right now.

i might hold out. would that ^ be better than the shure package?

I would hold out. IMO, that Audix combo sounds much better than the shure package. The shures are more versatile (easier to EQ for other instruments), but if you want mics specifically for your drums, the Audix ones just kill!

EDIT: I just noticed that the Audix mics went up in price (when did THAT happen?). So, the Shure set is $400 and the Audix mics would be $500, without the mic clips. There's nothing wrong with the Shure kit...SM-57s have been the standard for a long time for miking snares and toms. Audix has just improved on the sound tremendously! I think that it's worth the extra dough for the Audix mics, but if money is a huge issue, the Shure mics would be fine. If you have to wait a couple extra months to save up for the Audix mics, it would be worth it. That's just my opinion, though.

I've seen that too! It's happening more at music festivals than clubs, I've noticed. I think it's due to their budgets.

Disagree.

Yes, Audix tends to sell for a bit cheaper, but it's only about $10 less on average. Not enough to really make a difference for the bigger sound companies (ie, the guys who have enough gear to do festivals).

No, the trend is changing because Audix tends to have a flatter response than the corresponding Shure model. The SM57 and 58 have a low-mid bump that has to be EQ'd around, whereas the Audix doesn't.

All across the price levels, Audix tends to have microphones that sound just a little better than the Shures, typically with a little less handling noise and better feedback rejection. And, because they don't have the SHURE name plastered on them, they tend to still sell for cheaper. THAT'S why the big guys buy them.

The club guys buy Shures because they don't know any better. It's pretty rare to have a knowledgable dedicated soundman in a club, so they buy what's been working for the better part of the century. OR they're like me and had already bought their Shure gear... As soon as my Shures start to die, they'll be replaced with Audix.

Back