DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 09-15-2018, 01:27 AM

Default Cymbal Recommendation

Hi,

Got my son's drum set set up today for his birthday. He's so much happier with the new gear and so are we as the sound difference is huge. We have space and $100 birthday gift for one more cymbal. He has a 16 inch AAX (love it and it was a great price) and a 22 (I think - Larry kindly gave it to us) and a high hat (thanks Larry).

I was thinking an 8-10-12 inch. What's a good choice? (Mom has to listen to it and the new cymbals sound so much better than the crummy ones we had). Hole vs. regular. He likes heavy metal and rock.

Thank you!
Old 09-15-2018, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Cymbal Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummom View Post
Hi,

Got my son's drum set set up today for his birthday. He's so much happier with the new gear and so are we as the sound difference is huge. We have space and $100 birthday gift for one more cymbal. He has a 16 inch AAX (love it and it was a great price) and a 22 (I think - Larry kindly gave it to us) and a high hat (thanks Larry).

I was thinking an 8-10-12 inch. What's a good choice? (Mom has to listen to it and the new cymbals sound so much better than the crummy ones we had). Hole vs. regular. He likes heavy metal and rock.

Thank you!
First question I feel that I should ask is if he has a stand for another cymbal. If not, then perhaps a cymbal-plus-stand solution might be a good idea.

For rock and metal, a china cymbal is a great addition. Made-in-China china cymbals such as Wuhan are inexpensive and may leave you enough money to also purchase a less expensive straight cymbal stand or cymbal boom with clamp to fly it off one of his existing stands.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:46 AM

We're good on stands and limited floor space. I have three stands/two cymbals so I have room for one more cymbal. I got two Armory stands as the store gave me a good price for the toms (decided to get matching and knowing at some point we'll want to expand) so we have three cymbal stands.

So, $100 or so for just a smaller cymbal or one that makes sense as I don't get all the cymbals yet.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Cool. Honestly, a china or a second crash is a better option than a splash cymbal for a rock/metal drummer, and of those, a china cymbal is more affordable.

Another great idea is an Ozone crash, which can kind of do both a crash and china's jobs and sounds great in that genre of music. The Sabian B8X 16" fits in your price range:

https://www.zzounds.com/item--SABB8XCRASH?siid=234152
Old 09-15-2018, 04:27 AM

What would be the advantage that? (completely clueless and trying to figure it all out, not disagreeing). :)

I don't want to go so cheap it sounds bad. You (and our instructor) all were right the better cymbals make a huge difference and my son is enjoying playing more on the better equipment. I also want it to last as I think its something he will stick with.

The poor stand is naked without a cymbal.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member

Since you have a 22 Ride, Id go with a 19 or 20 Thin Crash to give more body to the Crash section. If his thing is rock and metal, I dont think going smaller is necessary.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
He has a 16 inch AAX .... I was thinking an 8-10-12 inch. What's a good choice? (Mom has to listen to it and the new cymbals sound so much better than the crummy ones we had). Hole vs. regular. He likes heavy metal and rock.

Thank you!
I'd go with another crash. Keeping it around $100, a 14" or another 16" Sabian AAX would fit right in. I run two Sabian 14" HHX X-plosion crashes and two Sabian 16" HHX X-plosion crashes on my rock kit.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What would be the advantage that? (completely clueless and trying to figure it all out, not disagreeing). :)

I don't want to go so cheap it sounds bad. You (and our instructor) all were right the better cymbals make a huge difference and my son is enjoying playing more on the better equipment. I also want it to last as I think its something he will stick with.

The poor stand is naked without a cymbal.
Ozones and china cymbals both are popular choices for metal and rock drummers, and even the less expensive ones tend to sound pretty good.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Since you have a 22 Ride, Id go with a 19 or 20 Thin Crash to give more body to the Crash section. If his thing is rock and metal, I dont think going smaller is necessary.
This is good advise. An 18 Thin crash or ozone would also work.
Zildjian A, A Custom. Sabian AAX. Those are good cymbals and easy to get 2nd hand.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Ozones and china cymbals both are popular choices for metal and rock drummers, and even the less expensive ones tend to sound pretty good.
Uh oh! Huston, we have a problem! LOL!
Old 09-15-2018, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Man that trash cymbal looks like a beat up old trash can.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:05 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Jessica an 8, 10, or 12" cymbal is considered a splash cymbal. Which means that it's an effect cymbal. That said, I love my 10" AAX splash. However, I would personally add any effects cymbals after you have the basic ride, hi hat and 2 crashes covered.

I'd say that the more popular crash cymbals sizes are the 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20" sizes. I like them all. You have a 16" already, if I could only get one more I'd opt for the 18" size. China cymbals, splash cymbals, cymbals with holes in them...will take all the guesswork out of birthdays and holidays for a few years to come.

The basics, which you mostly have, is really all anyone needs, for real. I'd let him wring as much enjoyment out of what he has already. Because if you keep buying him stuff that is beyond the basics, your reward for that is you get to keep doing it.

Guide him to value and appreciate what he accomplishes through practice, instead of something you purchased.

Spending money on a teacher is a much better investment after this next cymbal.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

I agree with Larry. I'd get an 18" AAX crash that matches the 16".

Then later on can come the china or Ozone and then finally a splash. that covers you in order of usefulness for almost any genre of music
Old 09-16-2018, 12:48 AM

Larry, I want you to know part of this is all your fault for sending us the cymbals - that made him want to play more!!! :) He has weekly drum lessons and a fantastic instructor.

The nicer equipment sounds so much better. Mom and Dad have to listen to all this as we have a tiny house. He very much appreciate it all and has no idea I'm considering another cymbal. He's very happy with the set. We just have a naked cymbal stand and someone gave him $100 for his birthday. Usually his money goes into his college fund.

I got the 16 inch as it was only $100 - anyone know a deal on the 18 inch? Those were crazy expensive. (or we'll wait given he isn't asking for anything more). Or, is there a cheaper option. Want to use his birthday money. :)
Old 09-16-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Thanks.. I'm just learning about drums. Rock and metal are very much his thing - we have very much pushed our music on him and it worked.

Any suggestions on what?
Old 09-16-2018, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Cowbells will attach to a cymbal stand quite nicely.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I got the 16 inch as it was only $100 - anyone know a deal on the 18 inch? Those were crazy expensive. (or we'll wait given he isn't asking for anything more). Or, is there a cheaper option. Want to use his birthday money. :)
Sabian will usually offer something from the AA or AAX lines in a 16" size for 99$ a couple of times a year, usually around a major holiday. I'd guess the one you bought came from that kind of deal.

I think they always do something around Christmas/New year's, and I also think different retailers get different crashes. For example, I want to say there was a year where GC and MF had an AAX recording crash, and retailers like Sweetwater and Cascio had an AA raw Bell.

Finding an 18" or greater of comparable quality is going to require diligent searching of the used market. Could always wait and see what 16" crashes Sabian offers up this year as well.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:00 PM
Gold Member

Throw in another $25, mom, and buy him a USED Sabian AAX 18" crash. Get the best price on one that looks nasty, clean it up with Barkeeper's Friend cream cleaner, and be done with it. You've had your lessons with going with anything less than the best equipment.

Good on you for getting him involved with something besides cell phones and video games!

GeeDeeEmm

Last edited by gdmoore28; 09-18-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:04 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Jessica if he likes the 16" AAX, then he will probably like an 18 or 19" AAX. Maybe focus on that particular model and try to locate one. Look at Guitar Center's and Sam Ash's used section. Searching for said cymbal I am encountering a lot of AAX plosion crashes. These are nice as well. So if you can't find an 18 or 19" AAX regular crash, the AAXplosions and the AAXplosion fast crashes are a fine choice as well.

The after Christmas price drop might be an advantageous time to buy a new one.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:27 AM

I'm assuming the practice room is small-ish so I would go with a 14" crash. The 16" then becomes the second crash. A 14"/16" combo is good for a small room. A 14" will also be good live as long as the kit's mic'd up.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tama View Post
I'm assuming the practice room is small-ish so I would go with a 14" crash. The 16" then becomes the second crash. A 14"/16" combo is good for a small room. A 14" will also be good live as long as the kit's mic'd up.
I consider 16" too small. I saw he go at least 18". He's not going to stay in that room for long if any of us on this forum are examples ;)
Old 09-17-2018, 02:58 PM
"Uncle Larry"

When I was sending this stuff to Jessica and her son, and I saw the address...I had to smile. Their home is on a street called Drumm avenue. Or Drumm street, I forget.

How oddly serendipitous.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Try out a Sabian 18" XSR crash. Peace and goodwill.