DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 09-16-2018, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

Default Is the hole spacing the same for new and old Yamaha RCs?

I have a black 80s Yamaha recording custom. I want to add a 20" bass drum, but that's a hard find on the online used market. I could buy a new one in the size and finish I want, but the lugs are slightly different. I actually have a lot of spare lugs for the older Yamaha RCs, could I swap them out to match the kit?

Also, while you guys are here what are your opinions on the birch Yamaha bass drums? A lot of guys don't like them, I wonder if I should just wait to find a used rock tour custom bass drum so I'd have those inner plys of mahogany
Old 09-16-2018, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Is the hole spacing the same for new and old Yamaha RCs?

I love Recording Customs, but if I was adding a 20" bass drum, I'd get a black Maple Custom. Maples simply hold on to their low frequency harmonic capabilities better than RC birches. And you may be able to retrofit your RC lugs. But, in all honesty, you'd be the only person to notice. Audiences could not care less.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 09-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
I love Recording Customs, but if I was adding a 20" bass drum, I'd get a black Maple Custom. Maples simply hold on to their low frequency harmonic capabilities better than RC birches. And you may be able to retrofit your RC lugs. But, in all honesty, you'd be the only person to notice. Audiences could not care less.

GeeDeeEmm
I know I'm just a perfectionist about that stuff. I'd love a maple kick but they never made one with the long style lugs
Old 09-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
I know I'm just a perfectionist about that stuff. I'd love a maple kick but they never made one with the long style lugs
Hi william..... I had 3 or 4 of the RC's.... and ALL of them my kick drums totally shined. No lack of anything.... very warm, and the bright birch frequencies just went perfect with pre-muffled heads. I liked them better than the majority of the maple drums I've owned.

The ONLY way it was any good was with ps3 front/back OR Evans EQ front/back WITH NO HOLE !!! Otherwise.... forget it.

Regarding the Rock Tour shells..... remember those are Luan wood and birch. Not the sweet African mahogany.... They are good drums but not as nice as the RC shell IMO.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
I love Recording Customs, but if I was adding a 20" bass drum, I'd get a black Maple Custom. Maples simply hold on to their low frequency harmonic capabilities better than RC birches.
The new Recording Custom bass drums are far superior to the first two versions. I've owned every line, and the new stuff is light years better. I just wish they offered a 14" deep version of the 20".