Rack mounted drum mics / mic stands

Just wondering if there are any companies that make drum mics attached to a gooseneck or similar to boom from a rack system? If not, somebody should!!!!

Ive had problems with the vibrations cause by striking a cymbal bleed thru the mic when they are are attached to the stand or rack, have even had problems with mics being attached to the drum if the drums are not isolated from the stand or rack by rubber ball mount tom arms or rubber mounted suspension mounts. I now use separate stands for mic placement just to save the headaches and to get more placement options depending on who's kit I need to mic and what their configuration may be.

We use short mic mount tubes for the "underheads"

micmounts2.jpg

and to reach in to the snare & hat, we attach a short boom.

There's undoubtedly some vibration picked up by the mic, but in a live situation it's not audible. The advantages of a rack - clean look, consistent positioning, reduced hardware, and ease & speed of set-up & teardown - outweigh our typical desire for sonic purity. And if the vibrations were audible, we'd use shock mounts. :)

Bermuda

With whatever you decide on using that's attached to your rack, I would look into shock mounts. It's cheap insurance for sonic clarity and you won't send your sound tech home with the heebie jeebies, lol.

Dennis

With whatever you decide on using that's attached to your rack, I would look into shock mounts. It's cheap insurance for sonic clarity and you won't send your sound tech home with the heebie jeebies, lol.

Dennis

At the rate they pay their FOH, he probably doesn't have time to stop laughing all the way to the bank.... ;)

Thanks for the replies! I'm actually looking into creating something a little more sophisticated than the options currently available so that I can make this happen.

I hate rim-mounted mics because they are obtrusively tall and are prone to failure with repeated use. I have an idea to rack or stand mount mics, and also hide the cabling up a bit, combined with flat XLR inputs. Trying to find sone flat(ish) mics to go with it all now. If I can make it work, I'll bang sone pics up

Why not just mount the mics internally? I love my MayEAs... convenience and isolation..

The reasons are 2 fold. First is price. The may system in the UK is hellishly expensive! And secondly is I don't really wanna go drilling my shells to accommodate the Xlr inputs.

Here's 2 thoughts on your twofold reasons: 1) you don't have to use the MayEA system. There are plenty of other ways to mount mics inside of drums. 2) Even IF you did use the MayEA system, they make non-drill adapters so you wouldn't have to drill your shells at all.

Before you dismiss something, try a little research....

Good luck with your quest...

Whoa, calm down fella!!! :)

I have looked into May, and others before (Gibraltar also do an internal mic mount) and if you don't drill, you have to run the cable through the grommet vent, which again I am not keen on. I'm sure it's a very good system for people like yourself, however I'm also sure it's not the system for me....

I agree 100% plus my drums have no holes in the shells whatsoever so it would be impossible for me to mic my toms or snare internally without drilling or cutting.

I have a pearl icon rack and both my overheads are mounted on the rack, using standard boom stands minus their tripods and standard pcx 100 clamps.

Iain

Whoa, calm down fella!!! :)

I have looked into May, and others before (Gibraltar also do an internal mic mount) and if you don't drill, you have to run the cable through the grommet vent, which again I am not keen on. I'm sure it's a very good system for people like yourself, however I'm also sure it's not the system for me....

I am perfectly calm, but thanks...

While with the non drill adapters you do have to run the cord through the vent, the new vent/plug does not inhibit air escaping the drum. Your reasons seem to be unfounded other than personal preference. Which is fine, but why not just state that up front, "I don't like them." instead of making false reasons?

I am using a 682DRUMS gooseneck in combination with a shock mount attached to a boom. I use them with their mics, but also with an SM58. No problems with vibrations.

Back