Cheap electronic drum set?

Electronic drums at school. Good idea !

1. Go to the electronic drums section of this forum, ask them there, they would know..
2. Put $100 in your pocket.
3. Check craigslist
4. try out some sets that are for sale.
5. Offer $100 cash.

1. Done.
Continue from 2. ;-)
Can't help you with money - need that stuff myself...

Seriously, with e-drums, the less you spend the less fun you'll have - both in terms of playing feel and the sounds you're getting.

I have a TDW-20 so i don't have a cheap kit..

but i DID feel ripped off when a buddy bought a cheapy kit for a few hundred and was using vst's and superior drummer and it sounded AMAZING.

just make sure you have a spare laptop and midi out of your Ekit

I have a TDW-20 so i don't have a cheap kit..

but i DID feel ripped off when a buddy bought a cheapy kit for a few hundred and was using vst's and superior drummer and it sounded AMAZING.

just make sure you have a spare laptop and midi out of your Ekit

Exactly this. The only difference is that if you have a higher end kit like a TD20, you'll have a bit more realism from things such as positional sensing and a better hi-hat pedal.

But ask around about the benefits of positional sensing and you'll find it's not really essential to having a good e-kit experience, it's sort of like an advertised feature that might not be all its advertised as. Good to have though.

I use an Alesis DM10 with Superior Drummer and it's awesome. The real sore point was hi-hat realism, but I play metal, so it's kind of a moot point.

I later upgraded with a set of Zildjian Gen-16s and that beats the TD30 hi-hats as well, as per some Roland TD30 drummers on vdrums.com.

The main thing to look for in the budget range is reliability. You don't want the thing falling apart on you. Also, make sure it has a midi/USB out so that you can hook up to a VST like SD2 or BFD2. VST sounds are better than most modules below $1500 and maybe even higher end modules like beyondbetrayal's TD20.

what's a cheap electronic drum set?

A: A piece of crap.

But seriously, I second what everybody else has said. Here's some other food for thought:
At the extreme, there is the Yamaha DD65, and this bundle for $220 makes it somewhat 'complete': http://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-dd-65-digital-drum-kit-bonus-pak.html
Of course, this is far from any kind of 'real' kit. However, when I went to college, there was barely enough room for my clothes and books. Any kind of drum kit would have been impossible.
As others have stated, if you have a computer, you can get far superior sounds than any e-kit module.

I got a used Roland TD-4k2, and added a cy-15 ride, 3 pdx-8 mesh pads, and a pd-125 snare pad that I got on ebay, and once I got addictive drums I never used the module again because with a UAD-2 dsp card and a good audio card (emu-1616m) on my computer, I've got the output of addictive equalized etc so it sounds ridiculously good.

My main kit on the AD is a Pearl reference kit with paiste signature cymbals and it sounds sick.

what I'm saying is get a used kit like that, then add mesh pads on from E-bay--sometimes you get them really cheap--and then get superior drummer, SSD, or AD, and you are set.

Back