In Person Lessons Vs. Online Lessons

JasonLech

Hello everyone!
My name is Jason and I'm brand new to the forum.

I've been a private drum instructor in PA for several years now and I was wondering how you all feel about In Person drum lessons(Private one on one, Group, master class) Vs. Online Lessons(skype, video download, live stream)

1) what do you feel the pro's and cons are of both.
Is it a matter of opinion or is one more effective than the other?

For more about me you can visit facebook.com/drumlessonsbyjl

Last edited:
I think in-person lessons are more effective simply because online lessons run a wide gamut of quality. My internet's not all that great- what if the quality isn't good enough for the teacher to see something wrong I'm doing with technique? What if I can't hear one of my students' ghost notes because their mic is bad? What if one of our connections suffers an aneurysm and just doesn't work? (this is mainly considering a skype-style live video chat.)

I'd probably be more of a fan of a lesson style where the two parties send youtube videos/audio/transcriptions to each other, but I'd still prefer in-person lessons.

This is my view on drumset lessons, anyways. As far as concert percussion goes? Not a chance. In-person only for me.

Do you think having a hybrid educational system could be helpful for some students?
For example as private teacher a portion of my roster is a revolving door. A small group of students may leave for football season while a group that was doing a summer activity will return. The problem that I encounter is these students don't necessarily want to give up learning drums while participating in their other activities but it's sometimes not possible to come to a physical lesson and while maintaining their other obligations in life. (this goes for older students I have too with hectic work schedules) I think a balance of the two could be very beneficial.

Here is a little story about my experiences with drum instructors. My first drum instructor was a slug. I was 14 years old and he would not even pay attention to the lessons. I caught him reading a playboy magazine one time, while I was paying him to teach me drumming. He was not really a drummer. He said he played bass and drumming was so simple he could teach it too. It was out of a small store front of a local music shop that gave music lessons to the people of the area. Of course, after that, I stopped taking lessons from the slug. Even though this was very insulting to me, I did not give up on drumming, I just gave up on instructors for a while.

At the time, there was no internet. But, taking an internet lesson, you have checks on the quality of the lessons simply by the authors having to write for a larger audience. They are geared to more than one student at a time, and it takes more work from the student.

It was not until I was 19 years old when I found a very good instructor. While I was doing some exercises from "Stick Control," my new instructor pointed out to me that I was extending my pinky finger on my left hand while I was doing some of the exercises. I really had no idea I was doing that. My new instructor also had pointed out to me that my timing was a little off. These are just a few of the things that a live good instructor can provide to you that an internet connection can not.

I guess just as Wikipedia is a source for information, an internet instruction can only provide information that the student is willing to work on for themselves. But, there will come a time when the student is unable to see what others see when others are looking at them. I used to practice in front of mirrors to watch what I was doing while playing, to see if my form was correct. But, a good live instructor will be able to see things that the student himself can not.

I could see that working well, certainly for lessons focused on timing, orchestration, etc. And I think that in-person lessons augmented by, say, .pdfs or whatever else would be very good too. (and of course, younger students may think that skype lessons are fine- depends on where they're at.) It could work quite well, especially if they practice away from lessons.

Assuming by online we're talking about live time with a teacher, and not YouTube "lessons", or the video exchange jive some sites offer, which are not lessons. For me, lessons are as much about developing a relationship with a music professional, and participating in the music scene in your own town as they are about just relaying information, so I'm a little skeptical about the value of doing them long distance. I think as an extension of your local practice I think it's fine, and maybe has potential, in the ways you mentioned; or just if there's some teacher who lives somewhere else who you really want to study with, for some reason, or there are no good teachers in your town. But I think students are better served by actually getting away from their computer, out of their house, and being around an actual musician for a little while. But I'll probably start offering online lessons at some point, and maybe it will work out great-- we'll see. Eliminating the commute to the lesson could be the key thing for hanging on to some students who drop because they're busy with other stuff.

You all make very valid points and I thank you for your input.

When it comes to teaching technique I feel you need in person guidance. Developing good technique takes a lot of time and adjustments from someone who knows what they are doing. I remember lessons with my instructor where he would adjust something in my grip, or posture etc. that I didn't even notice I was doing. nor would have I noticed it in a mirror because I probably would not have known I was doing something wrong.

I can see online lessons in conjunction with in person lessons being a good thing.
In the future I would like to bridge the two.

I feel there are pro's and con's to both and those pro's or cons may be an individualized thing because what is good for one may not be good for another.

Probably a combination of the two-both have pros and cons. I think the inperson wins though, because the teacher will be able to correct problems right then. Cons would be having to go to the lessons and gas prices. Online-I find helpful when I forget part of a beat and need to look for it while practicing. negative(especially with youtube videos) is it can be daunting to figure out which ones are good(and correct) and which ones are not worth the effort.

The main problem I'd have with a Skype-type lesson is that it would be very difficult for the instructor to see everything that's going on at the same time. The student's hands would be visible, but what about their face, body and feet?

I love teaching live! And I've had great success teaching via Skype. I think the Skype type of lessons depend on both parties being involved and serious about the interaction. My Skype students are dedicated and it shows in their progress. We've developed very good relationships as well.
Both modes of instruction are excellent if both parties are committed to the process.

Chuck

One of the things my teacher said after a few minutes of my first skype lesson was "I wish we where in the same room", So teachers and students both share the advantages of one on one. But of course today that is not always possible online is better than no professional instruction at all.

I love teaching live! And I've had great success teaching via Skype. I think the Skype type of lessons depend on both parties being involved and serious about the interaction. My Skype students are dedicated and it shows in their progress. We've developed very good relationships as well.
Both modes of instruction are excellent if both parties are committed to the process.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, So many good Skype teachers out there ...The way of the times

I never took online lessons so Im not entirely sure how they work. I do know Skype is a pain at times and freezez up and jumps a lot so Im not sure how well it would go as a lesson. also I would expect to pay a lot less for non one on one lessons.

It's really hard to get a decent drum tutor in person that doesn't charge through the nose per hour. I remember having drum lessons with Dave Hassell and he charged £45.00 an hour... Whereas I got an online lesson with Matt Halpern for half the price...

Each has pros and cons. Find a good teacher for a good price and stick with them. Although, if you are going to have a regular in person drum-teacher, keep the practice up, because they can only show you more, when you have the ability to progress ;-)

Awesome Torkez! Did you ever do venue lessons with Matt via Bandhappy? If so what's your opinion. How was your experience via skype?

I have an interview with Matt, Mike Johnston and JP Bouvet we did when they visited the drum shop I teach at for The Common Thread Clinic Tour. I'll see if I can share it for you guys:)

Back