Ebay score - Marching Snare Content

iamjohn

Hi Guys,

I just scored this 60's Slingerland Super Tension marching snare off ebay for less than $100. It's a 12 x 15. That's probably what these go for normally but I'm very happy with it and it is in showroom condition.

I've been feeling nostalgic for my drum corps days lately and wanted a marching snare. This one really is a beauty and sounds great.

I assumed this would be mahogany but a peek through the snare side head indicates at least an outer ply of maple with maple re-rings.

Anyone happen to know what wood(s) were used in these? Also, does anyone know what that thingy on the left side of the drum is for? Could it be for a lyre?

ng6j2c.jpg

Thanks Simms: I actually figured that out. Prob should have known. I also learned that it's maple/poplar/mahogany 3 plies with maple re-rings. Sounds awesome.

Great find ! The older 12X15 marching snare drums sounded like real snare drums, not like a cardboard box.

I agree with that Kirby. I understand what they're trying to do these days with the current snares but I definitely prefer the sound of a "real snare".

This one's got a great tuning range. I can tune it down and approximate the tone of one of those old rope-tuned beauties or crank it and get close to a modern sound. I like it fairly high but not maxed out. And it's LOUD!

Back