DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 03-16-2019, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

Default Cymbal ideas, a combo of qualities of a Paiste 2002 and a Zildjian K?

I have a set of Zildjian Ks that I love and a set of Paiste 2002s that I love. However, sometimes I wish I could just meld the two and come up with something that is in between the two. I guess a combo of the two would be a better description than in between the two. Any ideas?

My Zildjian K's are a pair of 15" Light HiHats, 17 and 19" Dark Thin Crashes, and a 22" K Ride (I guess it is a med ride, it is the one that just says RIDE on it).

My Paiste 2002s are a pair of 15" Sound Edge HiHats, 18 and 20" Crashes, and a 22" Prototype Ride that is Giant Beat weight (2350g).

Both sets are on the thinner side except for the 22" K Ride. I like the complexity I get from the sounds of both cymbals especially the Ks. I like how the Paistes hit and get out of the way, so they don't muddy up the mix. I like the brightness and shimmering sustain but for some things it seems like they can be a bit much. The K's are sometimes too dark and washy.

I guess what I'm wondering is if there is something that is between the Euro and Turkish sounds?

I know to compare the two is apples and oranges, and I guess I'm looking for a grapple or something. I know such a thing might not exist but I figured I'd ask those on here if they had any ideas.

Last edited by BertTheDrummer; 03-16-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Cymbal ideas, a combo of qualities of a Paiste 2002 and a Zildjian K?

You can try the Paiste Masters.
B20 bronze as opposed to B8.
Darker than 2002's and closer to a K.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Cymbal ideas, a combo of qualities of a Paiste 2002 and a Zildjian K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
You can try the Paiste Masters.
B20 bronze as opposed to B8.
Darker than 2002's and closer to a K.
That was my initial thought as well, but the couple that I've tried so far I wasn't enamored with. Maybe I need to try out some more of them. The problem is they are pretty expensive, and I haven't really seen many (if any) around locally.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
That was my initial thought as well, but the couple that I've tried so far I wasn't enamored with. Maybe I need to try out some more of them. The problem is they are pretty expensive, and I haven't really seen many (if any) around locally.
pretty expensive?

They should change their logo to Pai$te.

They really vary from their other lines.
I've played some I've liked and others sounded like aluminum hub caps.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:12 AM

How about an A391 pack? Unless of course you want another set of 15” hats. They should split those right down the middle.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottliver View Post
How about an A391 pack? Unless of course you want another set of 15 hats. They should split those right down the middle.
I had an A391 pack for a bit. The crashes weren't bad but still not quite what I think I'm looking for. I wasn't a fan of the 14" new beats or the 21" sweet ride.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

You might want to try some Giant Beats.
I've only had the 24" ride, but IMO, it had a blend of qualities that I usually associate with either Paiste and Zildjian.
Clear, clean sound, but with a touch of complexity I don't hear with the 2002's, for example.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
You might want to try some Giant Beats.
I've only had the 24" ride, but IMO, it had a blend of qualities that I usually associate with either Paiste and Zildjian.
Clear, clean sound, but with a touch of complexity I don't hear with the 2002's, for example.
I've thought about the Giant Beats and/or the Big Beats as well.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:00 AM

What came to mind as I read your post were the Zildjian Avedis and Kerope lines. If youre wanting to move away from the dark wash of Ks, Avedis seems preferable to Kerope.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:44 AM

I'm thinking the new K Sweets. They'll have the warmth of your current Ks, but will definitely be a step or two in the direction of the 2002s as far as just a touch of brightness and shimmering sustain.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I'm thinking the new K Sweets. They'll have the warmth of your current Ks, but will definitely be a step or two in the direction of the 2002s as far as just a touch of brightness and shimmering sustain.
Great suggestion.

I introduced the 17" K Sweet Crash to my setup (16 and 18" Dark Thin, like the OP) and it is just that - complex like the regular Ks but with an extra hint of sweetness and shimmer. My favourite crash cymbal, ever.

I plan to purchase the entire K Sweet line over time. The 19" crash is next.

Great overview of them if you haven't seen this already: https://youtu.be/QRYVI3-n-aI
Old 03-17-2019, 08:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammyfan View Post
Great suggestion.

I introduced the 17" K Sweet Crash to my setup (16 and 18" Dark Thin, like the OP) and it is just that - complex like the regular Ks but with an extra hint of sweetness and shimmer. My favourite crash cymbal, ever.

I plan to purchase the entire K Sweet line over time. The 19" crash is next.

Great overview of them if you haven't seen this already: https://youtu.be/QRYVI3-n-aI
The crashes might be close from what I'm hearing in clips and the hi hats are a maybe. I don't think the rides are quite what I'm looking for. I'll think about it though.

I'm thinking I might need to find a day to make the couple hour drive over to Lone Star Percussion and hang out in their warehouse trying stuff.

Edit: I wanted to post an update but I didn't really want to bump the thread.

After trying a ton of cymbals, I think I figured out what I wanted was something similar the attack/decay characteristics I was getting from my Paiste 2002s but with a darker and possibly more complex sound. After trying a bunch of various cymbals I think the Dream Bliss seem to have at least some of what I was looking for. So, I think I'm going to start looking at gathering in some of those for now and see how it goes.

The Paiste Twenty/Masters were intriguing as well, but they are a bit too expensive to experiment with for me.

Last edited by BertTheDrummer; 03-28-2019 at 12:05 AM. Reason: To update the conversation without a bump.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I was going to suggest this as well. The K Sweet crashes have a high-end shimmer that remind me of 2002's, but to a lesser degree.

Edit: I don't think the K Sweet Ride is anything like the 2002 rides. Honestly, I can't think of a Zildjian cymbal that is like that, except maybe A Custom. So if you're looking for something between a K Ride and a 2002 Ride, maybe the A Medium would be worth looking at, it's brighter than the K and is a great cymbal.