Different finish kick and toms

ConcertTom

Looking for pics and opinions of vintage kits with, say, a wrapped kick, but natural wood finished toms.

This backstory.... and I feel a little foolish posting this after starting to read through the sage advice to youngsters from professionals thread, because this is really not that important in the grand scheme, but im up against a real and immediate, albeit superficial, situation.

I've had a vintage rogers kit for the past couple of years who's toms i love but after playing with it and touring recently with it a bit I've decided that i really cant hang with the 22" kick it came with. I generally prefer 20" and the extra inches end up throwing off the rack tom placement to a point thats annoying (not unplayable, but not my favorite). I wasn't going to worry about it and just keepit as a studio kit, but the situation has come up that I might need to send a kit to live on the east coast for when i do shows and tours out there, and this is a good candidate for a few reasons, including because all the drums fit inside one another (because they're concert toms, of course).

Sooo... I'm thinking about getting a 20" kick to replace the 22. Im already about halfway through removing the black wrap and doing a natural wood finish on the toms. Ive seen a few kick drum candidates on the regular used sites. Some have nice (or intact enough) wrap on them. Some need to be totally rewrapped, which make them a good candidate for the wood finish. Some have hardware, some would need hardware (which i can just move over from my 22 without much problem).

My instinct is to make it as easy as possible and just get a decently wrapped kick with all the hardware i need on it, because i need to have this on the east coast by the 3rd week in august. On the other hand, if i took the time to find a cheap drum that already needs to be refinished i could save some money and have it really matching the toms, but i dont know if i actually have the time for all that.

The point, finally, is: would i be aesthetically happy with a white pearl or red sparkle kick, with natural wood toms (and an acrolite snare, btw)? I know none of you can actually answer this question for me but im curious what your feelings are, especially those of you who love vintage kits.

I also understand that is a quandry of my own making and that there are other solutions available, but this is the thing im considering at this moment.

I've seen Brad Wilk (from 'Rage Against the Machine'/ currently 'Prophets of Rage') do this often and I've always thought a red bass drum and natural toms setup looks cool.

One photo I've found.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulslye/4685085964

Not for me personally but I can appreciate it. It's different.

One desicion for you to think about I guess.

Wow... Brad was born in 1968? Thought he was much younger. This probably means I'm old myself.

If the kit sounded good together, I personally wouldn't care.

If I really wanted everything to match but didn't want to spend a lot of money, I'd do BumWrap on everything. Otherwise I don't think I'd care too much. Mismatched kits get played every day. No one else will care about the finish but you.

I have seen a few kits like that and even played one for a brief time. It looks OK with me. Peace and goodwill.

Benny Greb's kit that he's been using for years has been a wood veneer bass drum with white pearl toms, so I would think the opposite might look just as cool!

I've never met a set of drums that offended me.

If anything, a mismatched set makes me feel like the drummer is very secure with themselves. More power to em.

It goes against the tide, and that's great. Coloring outside the lines and all that.

Well I went for it, sort of...

I ended up getting a whole new combination of (used) drums and having them shipped directly to the east coast. Ends up costing about the same and i can either take my time with the rogers refinish, or maybe even sell them. We'll see...

The new ones are: Smoke vistalite toms and a ruby strata wrapped kick.

Im actually super excited about these. Ill try to remember to post pics when ive got it all up and running

I've never met a set of drums that offended me.

I one time saw a drumset that had swastikas expertly added on with shiny gold paint. I found that both a little offensive, and then immediately I was also a little scared of all the people at this thing which now looked a lot shadier than a moment before.

Side note, if you get invited to "private parties" in the middle of the woods in strange bars when you're on the road, I would not recommend going. I left immediately and because I had followed dude in his big truck to get there, I got lost on heavily wooded roads at night with no cell reception trying to get back to a highway. It sucked. At least I wasn't at a nazi party anymore, though. Okay so maybe they weren't all nazis but close enough for me. One is too many.

I one time saw a drumset that had swastikas expertly added on with shiny gold paint. I found that both a little offensive, and then immediately I was also a little scared of all the people at this thing which now looked a lot shadier than a moment before.

Side note, if you get invited to "private parties" in the middle of the woods in strange bars when you're on the road, I would not recommend going. I left immediately and because I had followed dude in his big truck to get there, I got lost on heavily wooded roads at night with no cell reception trying to get back to a highway. It sucked. At least I wasn't at a nazi party anymore, though. Okay so maybe they weren't all nazis but close enough for me. One is too many.

wow...good thing you got out of there

As promised, here's some pics of that first mismatched kit I put together for the east coast (where I am now). Just played 2 shows on it so far but I like it a lot. I put silver dot heads on the Toms because that's the appropriate thing (and I already had them laying around), but I'm quickly remembering that I dont like the feel and sound of silver dots so i may grab some coated emperors if we happen by a drum shop.

Also, I didnt notice this before, so maybe it happened during shipping, but the rim on the floor tom was knocked in at some point so is not sitting well over the drum head and drum. I tried to bang it back after the show last night and made it more "round", but it's not pretty and I think the only solution will be to get a new rim as well.

The kick sounded really huge and punchy at our first show the other night at Saint Vitus in Brooklyn. Yesterday's show was an outdoor festival (hence the pics in the grass, where I pre-set up before our set) so I couldn't really feel the low end on stage. We'll see what tonight tells me...

Attachments

• 20180825_094408-1035x1035.jpg
    20180825_094408-1035x1035.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20180825_094214-1024x1023.jpg
    20180825_094214-1024x1023.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20180825_094058-1024x1023.jpg
    20180825_094058-1024x1023.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 61
Back