Need topic for article

How about the thought processes / considerations and planning in the creation of "the show". How that has changed over the years, & how that relates to the drummer's integration into the show elements (everything from clicks / sequencer / video use through to costume demands).

Thank you for the suggestions, all good ideas, but some lend themselves better to images, especially when it comes to my collection.

My first inclination is to pull a couple of my most unusual snares and write about them. They're easily accessible to re-photograph, and certainly worthy of being seen. I don't think they're all not so modern enough to qualify, but they would be interesting subject matter.

I wonder if my cymbal collection would be worth writing about? I have no old Ks, but certainly enough '50-70s 'vintage' stuff to talk about. Or does talking about Zildjian step on my endorsed company Sabian's toes, even though my older Zildjians existed long before Sabian did?

The snare thing would be different, because none of them are mainstream brands, or still in production, or would be considered a competitor to my endorsed drum company, Ludwig. Talking about other brands is inevitable, but I need to exercise some discretion.

I have a number of older Ludwig kits, but none so unique that they warrant an article. Bun E, Randy Rainwater, Gary Asher and several others have me beat hands down on that front.

I could talk about my various encounters with electronics over the last 32 years, but I don't have enough photos to support everything I've owned, and the subject might actually be offensive to some drumming purists.

That's about all I've got of interest equipment-wise.

As for the other topics, I'd like to stick to things where I have more direct involvement, such as touring, or my growth as a player during the electronic explosion.

I'm narrowing it down to one of the following:

snares
cymbals
touring
personal growth

Thoughts? Any other ideas that I've missed?

Thanks,

Bermuda

How about the thought processes / considerations and planning in the creation of "the show". How that has changed over the years, & how that relates to the drummer's integration into the show elements (everything from clicks / sequencer / video use through to costume demands).

Not necessarily a classic vibe, but still good and would fall under growth as a player. Come to think of it, I do have plenty of pics of me in wigs & hats, grappling with headphones!

Actually, the more I think about it, this does seem like a good topic both from an equipment standpoint (going from stands to racks) and monitoring (going from speakers to phones to in-ears) and the evolution of production and the concert experience, from us just being a band playing on stage, to becoming a show featuring the artist and his band.

Hmmm, I like it. Still open to other suggestions, and I ultimately need to the magazine to agree to the topic.

Bermuda

Gear is kind of boring. I'd like to see a comparison of the job description of how it used to be when you first started out with how it is now.

Yes, I'm liking this direction...

My vote is for relationships with other successful drummers and who influenced you and helped your career. I enjoyed reading your experiences with Dennis St. John, a drummer who I didn't even know until his unfortunate passing. I knew all the music he played on but nothing else. Good luck.

This is also good, and I do have some great photos of Dennis, although not sure I have any with us together. :( I could certainly talk about the importance of Hal & Ringo in my growth as player, but that's not an experience that's particularly unique to me.

Bermuda

Not necessarily a classic vibe, but still good and would fall under growth as a player. Come to think of it, I do have plenty of pics of me in wigs & hats, grappling with headphones!

Actually, the more I think about it, this does seem like a good topic both from an equipment standpoint (going from stands to racks) and monitoring (going from speakers to phones to in-ears) and the evolution of production and the concert experience, from us just being a band playing on stage, to becoming a show featuring the artist and his band.

Hmmm, I like it. Still open to other suggestions, and I ultimately need to the magazine to agree to the topic.

Bermuda
I was tempted to push in any direction that would feature your Guru snare, but that would be a very boring / selfish (me) / one dimensional article ;)

Show integration for most drummers is a bit of a mystery - certainly the mechanics / challenges, & how modern innovations have made life easier - plus expanded the possibilities. The costume element providing a degree of levity too :)

I was tempted to push in any direction that would feature your Guru snare, but that would be a very boring / selfish (me) / one dimensional article ;)

Show integration for most drummers is a bit of a mystery - certainly the mechanics / challenges, & how modern innovations have made life easier - plus expanded the possibilities. The costume element providing a degree of levity too :)

For snares, it's not just about the great drums like yours, but about the unusual pieces like my turbine snare, the shell-less DeMowbray, Charlie Cordes' adjustable snare prototype, etc.

I'm leaning towards the show thing, and there are a few angles: my personal evolution/adaptation, technological evolution, and how show drumming has crossed over from Broadway shows into pop music.

But still thinking about alternatives, keep 'em coming!

Bermuda

Okay, fine...

I said I wouldn't ever do it again - not after that hit piece they did on me in Spin all those years ago - but you can do your story on me, Bermuda.

I will NOT talk about what happened in Monaco, but all other subjects are open.

Okay, gave it some more thought, ran it by George at the magazine, and he approves. The article will be about the changes and growth throughout my career with Al.

Thanks all, I'll let everyone know when it's published!

Bermuda

Okay, gave it some more thought, ran it by George at the magazine, and he approves. The article will be about the changes and growth throughout my career with Al.

Thanks all, I'll let everyone know when it's published!

Bermuda

I like this.

And perhaps a portion of what it's been like going from having to learn another drummers parts to having to do more and more programing of parts as the music has evolved over time into more machine based music.

And while I agree gear wouldn't be all that exciting, getting into how to re-produce sounds would be interesting. We all know on an album, the drum sound is so often beyond the scope of the drummer, as different mics, the placement of the mics, the room, different effects, the mixing and mastering can all drastically change a drum sound from what a drum sounds like to how it sounds on the final record. How you manage to decipher thousands of variables to get to the sound would be highly interesting.

Back