I want to buy a block or a cowbell but which?

Drummertist

Silver Member
I want a sound that is versatile.
What do you guys have on your kits and what do you think of them?
I've been looking at the LP block and cowbells, but should I get the wood ones or the plastic ones or a cowbell, or blahblahblah.....so on and so forth!!!! TOO MANY CHOICES!!!!!!!....now fainting....

...thanks in advance...

I have both now, and it's great. I'm mostly a jazz player and just couldn't go without the fun sounds myself. I have the Black Beauty cowbell (LP) although I think the bigger one is good too and the small jam block (the blue one). I was looking for the woodblock sound, but the prices of woodblocks are crazy these days, and they aren't the most durable of things. I had heard the big red block before (nightmares from high school marching band ensued) so I thought I'd try the small one. It's great. It actually sounds like a woodblock and not a big clave thing. You can play the top with the tips of the sticks and it has that nice clakkity sound or you can use the shoulder of the stick on the edge for a cool clave sound too. I've got both mounted on a Gibralter bass hoop mount (the same one) and it works great. Personally, I would say go for the LP Black Beauty Sr. cowbell (a bit more versatile than the small one) and the Jam Block (the blue one, not the red one).

It may not be the best, but I've fallen in love with it's sound. I'm getting the LP Li'l Ridge Rider Cowbell and Jam Block High Pitch Blue that you recommended.

Also, what should I use to attach it to my drumset? I've been looking at Tama's CBA5 which attaches to a boom arm or the CBH 20 that attaches to the bass drum hoop.

Where you attach the cowbell depends on how you'll be playing it; If you're just playing some quarter-note rock beats every now and then, The bass drum hoop is a good place to mount it. But if you use the bell a lot for playing Latin patterns like songo (or for rock tunes like "Good Times Bad Times" by Led Zeppelin), it's easier to mount it to the right of your floor tom so that your left hand is free to move around the kit.
Also... check out the Salsa series of cowbells from LP; they're unpainted stainless steel and they sound amazing!

Back