Gregg Bissonette

If you wanna see some great work by Greg, check out "Eat 'Em and Smile" by David Lee Roth. Roth recorded this album after he left Van Halen; many say this albums picks up where Van Halen leaves off. Greg does some great work; he is perfectly supported by bass virtuoso Billy Sheehan and guitar virtuoso Steve Vai. I really consider this to be a "supergroup", and the album is absolutely amazing.

- Marc

Well, let me roll up on to the sidewalk and take a look. Whoa...

tambian89 said:
If you wanna see some great work by Greg, check out "Eat 'Em and Smile" by David Lee Roth. Roth recorded this album after he left Van Halen; many say this albums picks up where Van Halen leaves off. Greg does some great work; he is perfectly supported by bass virtuoso Billy Sheehan and guitar virtuoso Steve Vai. I really consider this to be a "supergroup", and the album is absolutely amazing.

- Marc

Trust me, this album rules.

On the other hand, I really liked the "Texas Shuffle" that Greg played on the video on this site. 'Twas cool.

- Marc

I can only concur what has been said about Greg .Again like alot of you i went to a clinic that he held here in NZ he was so humble.His clinic was the breakdown of the beatles music and he played right through the many styles they encroached on .............................it was to say one of the best clinics I have been to and then he took 45 minutes of questions and gave lots of advice and a couple of great stories.He had just come from working with Carlos Santana and was on fire.

I've actually only gotten into Gregg Bissonette recently. He is an excellent drummer and the video of him on this site playing tony williams is awesome! is that a 18 inch bass drum he's playing?

I am lucky enough to know Gregg for almost 17 years. He has been my biggest influence and favorite drummer for almost 20 years. About 9 months after I made the effort to meet him I got the oppourtunity to set up his drums (may-oct 1990,91&92) at local jazz clubs, studio sessions and other things in exchange for lessons. To me It could not get any better than that. Most of time I would sit 10 feet away and watch him all night. Usualy 9-1:30. When it came to lessons we did what I wanted at lessons but it was mostly about timing, beat dissplacement stuff and double bass feet and hand patterns. I also learned alot without extra lessons from watching him so much over the years. There are drummers that have faster feet and hands or that are in to crazy independence stuff but when it comes down to it he is one of the greatest ALL AROUND drummers there is. My favorite without question. I saw him two weeks ago and I am just as happy to see him now as I was 17 years ago. So if you have the oppourtunity to see him live..DO IT!! You wont be dissapointed. He is a nice guy, funny and very approachable. And if he has the time he will answer any questions you ask him.

I first saw him in 1982 or 1983 when he was gigging with Maynard Ferguson. I got to catch him twice with Maynard. I then saw him with David Lee Roth. I'm trying to remember who was playing drums for Joe Satriani. More than likely it would have been Jonathan Mover.

Gregg Bissonette was the primary reason I bought Yamaha drums. He had that gorgeous natural wood set of Recording Customs with Ferguson.

mikeybbdrummin said:
I am lucky enough to know Gregg for almost 17 years. He has been my biggest influence and favorite drummer for almost 20 years. About 9 months after I made the effort to meet him I got the oppourtunity to set up his drums (may-oct 1990,91&92) at local jazz clubs, studio sessions and other things in exchange for lessons. To me It could not get any better than that. Most of time I would sit 10 feet away and watch him all night. Usualy 9-1:30. When it came to lessons we did what I wanted at lessons but it was mostly about timing, beat dissplacement stuff and double bass feet and hand patterns. I also learned alot without extra lessons from watching him so much over the years. There are drummers that have faster feet and hands or that are in to crazy independence stuff but when it comes down to it he is one of the greatest ALL AROUND drummers there is. My favorite without question. I saw him two weeks ago and I am just as happy to see him now as I was 17 years ago. So if you have the oppourtunity to see him live..DO IT!! You wont be dissapointed. He is a nice guy, funny and very approachable. And if he has the time he will answer any questions you ask him.

mlehnertz said:
I first saw him in 1982 or 1983 when he was gigging with Maynard Ferguson. I got to catch him twice with Maynard. I then saw him with David Lee Roth. I'm trying to remember who was playing drums for Joe Satriani. More than likely it would have been Jonathan Mover.

Gregg Bissonette was the primary reason I bought Yamaha drums. He had that gorgeous natural wood set of Recording Customs with Ferguson.

I saw him 3 times w/DLR. E&S tour, Skyscraper tour and at a dress rehearsal w/about 50 people when A Little Aint Enough came out. And also a lot of jazz clubs.
As far as I know it was Mover. Gregg was the reason I bought my Pearl kit 10 years ago.
And because he plays Mapex I have looked in to them and like the features of the Pro M studio kit (especially the legless 16 in floortom) and thats what im going to get soon. Emerald Green.

Last edited:
Re: Gregg Bissonette!!

Drummer_Boy said:
Gregg Bissonette is a really good drummer. I think he's self-taught also, but don't remember. Also, I know he played with David Lee Roth which was good, and I think he played with Steve Vai.

Nah hes not self-taught he went to school in Texas and hes studied with Tony Williams....

Anyways I finally got his DVD and must say hes really gotten good...I had his old DCI video and the way hes progressed with his Latin playin is unbelievable....He doesn't sound like a rocker tryin to fake a Latin groove anymore - real authentic sounding....

He comes across as a real humble - comical guy and I really like the way he continually pays homage to Tony throughout the DVD....

Re: Gregg Bissonette!!

LinearDrummer said:
Nah hes not self-taught he went to school in Texas and hes studied with Tony Williams....

Anyways I finally got his DVD and must say hes really gotten good...I had his old DCI video and the way hes progressed with his Latin playin is unbelievable....He doesn't sound like a rocker tryin to fake a Latin groove anymore - real authentic sounding....

He comes across as a real humble - comical guy and I really like the way he continually pays homage to Tony throughout the DVD....

His new DVD is very good. Covers alot of different styles.
I have seen Gregg many, many times. Mostly from 90-93 at both Baked Potato's, Lave Le, Cafe Cordiale, Le Cafe and other places with incredible musicians including percussionists and I have never heard anyone refer to him as a "Rock Drummer" fakeing a Latin Player. The musicians he played w/at that time 15 years ago I dont think would settle for a drummer that had to "Fake" their way through any part of the music.
I believe the DCI video your refering to came out in 1990. Right after I met him and saw him at all the places I mentioned.
Also he played the same stuff on the Buddy Rich Memorial in Oct. 89 in his solo .........................didnt look fake to me.
Just thought I would throw in my two cents.

Last edited:
tambian89 said:

- Marc

"Eat Em An Smile" is brilliant!!Ah my band do a cover of "Yankee Rose" and were learning "Shyboy"....the band have it down but the fact is i dont have a double bass pedal so i cant play it!!

brillinat album!brilliant band! Brilliant drummer!!

"Submarine" is also insane!!

da cheese walks said:
"Eat Em An Smile" is brilliant!!Ah my band do a cover of "Yankee Rose" and were learning "Shyboy"....the band have it down but the fact is i dont have a double bass pedal so i cant play it!!

brillinat album!brilliant band! Brilliant drummer!!

"Submarine" is also insane!!

"Shyboy" is a fun song to play. If you dont have a double pedal another cool song to play off that album is "Bump & Grind" also "Ladies Night in Buffalo" w/a very cool guitar solo.

My fave song to play by Gregg with DLR is Skyscraper. There is a fill after the 2nd bridge that is awesome.

"My Doctor says I need to take a LAXATIVE!"
"Not in my store you dont!"

mikeybbdrummin said:
"Shyboy" is a fun song to play. If you dont have a double pedal another cool song to play off that album is "Bump & Grind" also "Ladies Night in Buffalo" w/a very cool guitar solo.

ah yes!!!the guitar solo is brilliant....good old Steve Vai....man i love that guy!!

Shyboy is great fun to play....my guitarist an bassist have the best crack ever doing it!!!yknow the whole guitar 6 finger tapping bit near the end?well my bassist does it with the guitarist an just everything about the song blows people away when we play it!!

da cheese walks said:
ah yes!!!the guitar solo is brilliant....good old Steve Vai....man i love that guy!!

Shyboy is great fun to play....my guitarist an bassist have the best crack ever doing it!!!yknow the whole guitar 6 finger tapping bit near the end?well my bassist does it with the guitarist an just everything about the song blows people away when we play it!!

You should check out Whitesnakes "Slip of the tongue" CD. Vai on guitar and Tommy Aldridge on drums. I think its a good Cd.
You would probably like it................since you "love that guy".

yeah man ive heard it....i like it...!haha!but im not so into whitesnake!!(in my opinion theyre a bit...eh i dunno...corny?!!!)but i do love Vai....my guitarist introduced me to Vai about 7 months ago....ive watched "live at the astoria" over 20 times now thorugh and through!!absolutley brilliant!!!

especially Virgil Donatis solo....awww lovely!!!Vai is an incredible guitar player, and hes worked with so many incredible musicians.....!I love pretty much everything hes on!!i mean his stuff with Zappa....!amazing!(Zappa is the greatest!!!!!!)

Sex & Religions a great album....i especially like "Pig" and "Survive"!brilliance!!

Back