Just bought a Remo Fiberskyn head for my snare...

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
Thought it would look cool and probably sound warm and cool too. I'm probably going to put it on my Pearl FF for our gig upcoming in a couple weeks. how do these heads sound? I bought it at cost from the music store I work at.

Hoepfully it's going to be a good head! I have an Evans HD Genera Dry on it now which I'm sure will be totally different.

How do these heads compare to a sntardard Ambassador on snare?

The Fiberskyn has a warmer tone, with more midrange and a stiffer stick feel over a typical coated Ambassador. Compared to the HD dry it is going to have a lot more open and ringing tone.

I used a Fiberskyn on my snare for a long time. I just got tired of them bubbling up on me after a while so now I'm using the Aquarian Modern Vintage.

A Fiberskyn is a nice head for that sound should you like it.

Jeff Hamilton uses them on everything, as do others.

Experimenting with heads (especially paying cost) is a cool way to explore.

I couldn't wait to try it and ended up putting it on today. Not only did I find out it looked cool on my snare, but I found out the Evans head that was on there from the user before me must have had that head on there for years! It was all dusty, dirty, and full of fragments underneath the hoop. It still sounded fairly new - the $17 you pay for the Evans HD Genera Dry is worth it because they last more than a couple years...

anyways, onto the Fiberskyn...

it tuned up really quick and without even trying I got a good usable tone out of it. I then spent an additional 30-60 seconds tap testing each lug and tuning it, and within that time I got a tone that I would say is pretty stellar. The tone is loud, warm, and bright at the same time. I wouldn't hesitate to use these on toms either. It's like a standard Ambassador but with less plastic and more bark. Definitely a favorite of mine now. We'll see how it holds up.

Recommended by me!!

I bought 2, one for each of my snares and although they are tough as nails the Ambassador version had too much snap to them and I also found them to be less responsive so I went to a coated Ambassador on my walnut and an Genera Dry on the steel. If you are going to put the Fyberskin on a snare I think it is best to use a Diplomat. That does not mean they won't work for you; I have plenty of unused heads lying around from experimintation and I don't think anyone can actually say yes or no as to what will work for you.; you have to try different types until you get what you want.
Not sure why I did not start with the Ambassador Coated in the first place but that is just the way it goes. Also It will vary from snare to snare and your playing style; for me it is not just the sound but the feel and that seems to be the decideing factor as different sounds can be interesting and maybe take you somewhere you have never gone before.

Back