Roland KD-7/KD-8 and FD-7/FD-8 pedals with Roland HPD-15

rednebb

Hello, I'm a new member here, and first, let me say that I'm not a drummer, I'm a guitarist..;-) But I'm about to buy myself a Roland Handsonic HPD-15, and I need a few advices about the use of pedals with this. I would like to have two pedals, so I can use one for a bass drum sound, and the other for Hi-hat (and/or snare or whatever..)
The Roland FD-7 or FD-8 is the obvious choice for Hi-hat pedal of course, but can these also be used as a trigger pedal for kick drum (or other sounds) from the Handsonic? (in that case I could just get two of these) I know the Roland KD-7/KD-8 is designed especially for kick drum, but then I also need to get a kick drum pedal, which I'm also not used to, and I also want my "drum setup" to be as compact and easy as possible, as I normally also have a lot of guitar pedals on the floor..
Another option that I'm thinking of, and excuse me if this is a stupid question; must you use a kick drum pedal with the KD-7/8, or can you actually just use your feet and stomp directly on the KD pad like a "foot stomper"..?
Thanks for any replies..

Welcome to the forum

You could do an FD8 for both the high hat and the bass pedals.

If you wanted to go the route of the kick pad you would need a a bass pedal. They don't make the KD8 and more, it's the KD9 now, and I would recommend this and not the KD7.

Thank you!
I've found both a used FD7 and a FD8, so then I could get both these and use one for Hi-hat and one for bass drum then? And will the pedal be able to translate dynamics (hard and soft kicks etc.), also when used as a kick drum pedal?
By the way, I've also found both a used KD7 and a KD8, and specially the KD7 looks like it could work fine just lying on the floor and stomping it, are you sure this won't work? I would have guessed that the pad reacts to something hitting it, regardless if it's actually a kick drum pedal or a foot/shoe or something else..?

Thank you!
I've found both a used FD7 and a FD8, so then I could get both these and use one for Hi-hat and one for bass drum then? And will the pedal be able to translate dynamics (hard and soft kicks etc.), also when used as a kick drum pedal?
By the way, I've also found both a used KD7 and a KD8, and specially the KD7 looks like it could work fine just lying on the floor and stomping it, are you sure this won't work? I would have guessed that the pad reacts to something hitting it, regardless if it's actually a kick drum pedal or a foot/shoe or something else..?

The FD type pedals will do about anything. They are the only types that will control the high hat though. On the FD type pads, you MIGHT be able to hit it hard enough to trigger it, but it won't give you very good dynamic control. It would also destroy your pad a lot faster than a bass pedal will. And if you just stop or kick it with you foot you won't be able to play very good as well. So it's either get 2 FD type pedals, or an FD, and a KD and use a bass pedal. I recommend the second option.

Thanks, but you got me a little bit confused now, saying: "on the FD type pads, you MIGHT be able to hit it hard enough etc...", did you mean the KD type pads (that would make more sense)?
So (assuming the above was just a typo..) the FD pedals will work fine for dynamics and all, also when used as a kick drum? One of the guys who's selling a FD pedal, claims it cannot be used as a kick drum pedal, but that's maybe because he wants to sell a KD pedal as well.. ;-) And from my point of view, not being a drummer to begin with, it's much more convenient to use just a FD pedal for kick drum, instead of getting both a KD pad and a conventional bass drum pedal. But from your point of view; what is the advantage of using a KD + bass drum pedal as opposed to a FD pedal then, since you recommend the KD/pedal option?

Yes, I meant KD, not FD.

I've set up the FD8 on my kit as a second kick before. It worked ok. It doesn't have much dynamic range to it though. The pedal and KD combo gives you a lot better playability and dynamic range. With a bass pedal you can adjust you spring tension and other things to make it feel how you like. You can't adjust the tension on the FD pedals.

Yes, I meant KD, not FD.

I've set up the FD8 on my kit as a second kick before. It worked ok. It doesn't have much dynamic range to it though. The pedal and KD combo gives you a lot better playability and dynamic range. With a bass pedal you can adjust you spring tension and other things to make it feel how you like. You can't adjust the tension on the FD pedals.

Hm, ok.. I have to think about this and decide which option to go for. Thanks a lot for your help and advice so far!

Got my Roland Handsonic, FD-8 and FD-7 pedals today. The FD's worked fine as Hi-hat pedal (of course), but as a kick drum trigger not so good, I'm afraid.. For instance, when trying to do two fast kicks after one another, the Handsonic went crazy.. For comparison, I tried to hook up an old plastic Roland footswitch/sustain pedal, and it actually worked fine, also with fast kicks, but with no dynamics of course, max volume on every kick.
So I guess I have to get a dedicated kick drum trigger/drum pedal after all, I'm opening a new thread for questions about this..

Back