Venting on the 4th of July....

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So, last week I came home and with my bare feet, I can feel the floor is warm by my entryway. Great.

The next day I get a plumber out and of course I have a concrete slab leak. They proceed to jackhammer my entryway to get into the concrete and yes, there's a leak all right. $1400 and four hours with a nice concrete patch later, they leave, and two days later I check my water meter, and with everything off in the house, it's running. The floor is now getting warmer but in a larger area. Grr....

So on July 5th the plumber gets to visit again and we get to talk about what he's gonna do for me for free. Meanwhile, I'm making plans to just get the house re-piped by a contractor cousin of ours. Right now I have a house with no running water (I'll turn the water on when I have to do something) and will probably be living like this until next week.

FML :/

I love owning a home. I'm gonna go play my drums for a couple of hours.

I love owning a home. I'm gonna go play my drums for a couple of hours.

So sorry for all of your troubles but at least it's a good to know that we, as drummers, have a creative and constructive way to bang out all of our frustrations :) Sending wishes your way that your week only gets better from here.

So sorry for all of your troubles but at least it's a good to know that we, as drummers, have a creative and constructive way to bang out all of our frustrations :) Sending wishes your way that your week only gets better from here.

Thanks Mary. Pulled money for the coming re-pipe job so I guess right now our lives are just inconvenienced (have to turn on the water outside for now if I want water, or we go to the in-laws place to take a shower which is only a block over, so that's nice). This sure gets in the way of getting what I want when I want it, drum-wise, though ;)

I'll live. Thanks.

I generally say "owning a home sucks but the alternative is worse...."

Sorry to hear the troubles.... It is frustrating to deal with junk like that.

I generally say "owning a home sucks but the alternative is worse...."

You got it. Now that I have a house that has been neglected for decades I've spent a small fortune on getting the leaky roof fixed properly (after years of band aid fixes), the cornices replaced that had become full of mould from the leaking, fixed blocked plumbing pipes, gotten broken blinds replaced, replaced 45 year old unflued gas heater and stove which had a broken griller and oven ... I've forgotten a lot and there's TONS still to do.

The thing is, until fairly recently I lived in a small but cool art deco flat and the hardest thing I had to do domestically was the vacuum cleaning. So this whole suburban house caper is a bit of a shock to the system for someone accustomed to sitting on their bum in front of computer screens.

However, I can play acoustic drums in my home now after decades of rubber pads (ie. decades of not playing much). If I keep low hands or use brushes I can go until almost midnight. So, while the work with the house and the inconveniences are a PITA, the drumming situation means that daggy surburban house trumps groovy inner city flat - not even close :)

Bo, I've seen enough clips of you playing to know you enjoy the same luxury - it's so amazing and freeing that I'm still in shock! Good luck with the water.

Are you sure banging those skins and the broken water pipe aren't related in some way? ;)

When you own a home, no matter where you sit, you're looking at something you need to do...

Back