Mike Bordin

That Guy

Platinum Member
Drummer for Faith No More, Ozzy Osbourne and filled in for Korn among others. Mike is one of my most influencial drummers. I find it amazing that he is not featured on DrummerWorld. He is on the wishlist, and that page needs to hurry. Anything I can do to help speed up the process for this wonderful drummer Bern? Just let me know.

Anyone else appreciate or inspired by Mike?

Hi
I was looking for him when I found your post! I think he plays very well and I don't understand why he isn't on drummerworld!
He can play with so much energy it's amazing ...

Last edited:
Im not a big fan of bordin but i can respect his skill as i do all drummers.... i personly think that he is good as he is left handed a plays the kit the same way round as a right handed player would......

I have Ozzy's dvd Live In Budakon. In the dvd, TO ME, Mike 's timing seems to be very noticably not solid. Once I noticed it, it was to forget the more I watched it. Mostly rushed I believe. Randy is one of my favorites of Ozzy's drummers. Powerful,solid with a great drum sound. Not tearing Mike's playing apart just saying it was noticably off.

I love Mike Bordin's playing too. The Faith No More stuff is killer. Whatever he's doing on "Surprise, You're Dead!" is mind-boggling to me. I've only heard one of the Ozzy track (I Can't Stop or something like that).

As for his timing, I really wouldn't judge by one performance. There could have been monitor issues that night or something. Not saying you're wrong about him, but who knows? If it was constant and you have a few other performances from that tour to confirm, that would be something else.

I dig the Ozzy Budokan DVD too.

Bordin's playing pretty freakin' hard, so I'll give him a break on the tempo flux...

His snare sounds cool on that DVD.

To me, that style of music is more about the balls, attitude and intent, more than having everything all precise and perfect.

It ain't "math rock" after all.

I really dug his old Yamaha Black Recording kit with the big toms flat.
That kit looked so bad....
Yamaha's black paint jobs are about the best black out there.
Just the right amount of shine, and a real black shade of black. No red or blue tint to it.

He went down to a 24 and I think one inch down on the rack toms (from 14-15 to 13-14?), but it's still a big kit....

The tempo fluctuations come from him fallowing Ozzy. In his most recent Guitar Ctr catalog interview he said if Ozzy sings the songs slow he slows down, If Ozzy sings the songs fast he speeds up. He said its all up to the meter of the vocals. Mike is awesome. Next time your playing a huge, tribal, tom beat, think of him.

The tempo fluctuations come from him fallowing Ozzy. In his most recent Guitar Ctr catalog interview he said if Ozzy sings the songs slow he slows down, If Ozzy sings the songs fast he speeds up. He said its all up to the meter of the vocals. Mike is awesome. Next time your playing a huge, tribal, tom beat, think of him.

I actually meant a lot of his fills seemed rushed...............from the time he starts the fill till he crashes out of it............very noticeable to me............had nothing to do w/Ozzy.
I prefer Randy over any of Ozzy's drummers....................w/Tommy Aldridge a close second.

Not a big fan of his playing with Faith No More, but I liked the stuff he did with Ozzy on Black Rain.

Before Faith No More got big, he used to come into the small drum shop I worked in to buy sticks. Who could forget that hair?

I saw him with FNM when they opened for Metallica, and I just happened to see him filling in for Korn when they opened for Metallica.

I dig his drumming on the Ozzy CD. It's a bit of a different approach after Tommy and Randy (and when Brian Tichy filled in).

I firmly believe Mike's playing and influence is criminally underrated.

He is a great drummer with highly recognizable sound & style

FNM was one of my main influences growing up, they simply didn't sound like anything else to me. Mike always seemed to be a good solid powerhouse drummer, I know he isn't with Ozzy at the moment and there has been some talk of a FNM reunion tour, anyone know anything about that?

and there has been some talk of a FNM reunion tour, anyone know anything about that?

I'm guessing it's either over or underway. Saw them here in Melbourne last year....bands of that calibre would never do a renunion tour and come to this backwater without doing Europe or the States as well.

Awesome show FWIW. Although incredibly loud. I was up close and my right ear rang fearsomly for two days after. They seemed to have lost nothing from their glory days. Mike Patton's voice was a good as I've ever heard it and Puffy rocked the house down as always.

Their rendition of Crowded House's, Don't Dream It's Over right after a blistering version of The Gentle Art Of Making Enemies, provided one of the more surreal moments in my concert going history. Great gig.....be sure to catch 'em if they're still at it. :)

Last time I saw FNM was in '92 w/GNR & Hangman's Chair

I missed them last year at the big 'Rock en Seine' summer Fest. in Paris, hopefully they will return in a smaller venue.

My band was playing a club in Aurora IL around '91 or '92 at the end of the hair metal days, (no Wayne or Garth in attendance). During our whole set, the bass player and I keep looking and laughing at this guy in the audience. He's wearing bell bottom jeans, a sport coat of some sort, brown suede Gauss shoes, a little purple derby, and had a pony tail pulled over his shoulder hanging in front. We laugh thinking how this guy is about 15 years too late..

Set over, I go to the bathroom. In to the bathroom walks the MC/DJ of the club with this guy. The MC proceeds to introduce us. Yep, Mike Bordin. He was very nice and since we were standing at the urinal, he understood that I wanted to wait to shake his hand....

Drummer for Faith No More, Ozzy Osbourne and filled in for Korn among others. Mike is one of my most influencial drummers. I find it amazing that he is not featured on DrummerWorld. He is on the wishlist, and that page needs to hurry. Anything I can do to help speed up the process for this wonderful drummer Bern? Just let me know.

Anyone else appreciate or inspired by Mike?
Yes, definately.

His drumming on The Real Thing and Angel Dust were - and still are - huge influences on my non-metal drumming and I "borrow" some of The Real Thing for between songs.

For a so called "alternative" band, Faith No More are hard to resist: Powerful delivery, great songs... Killer combo.

And Michael (as he prefers to be known) was excellent with Ozzy at Ozzfest 1998.

FNM was one of my main influences growing up, they simply didn't sound like anything else to me. Mike always seemed to be a good solid powerhouse drummer, I know he isn't with Ozzy at the moment and there has been some talk of a FNM reunion tour, anyone know anything about that?

Check out their site. http://www.fnm.com/

They had a an awesome tour last year (which I missed) and I'm waiting for more dates to come out.

There are a bunch of Youtube posts from 2009's Download Fest. They sound great and are playing to a huge and responsive crowd.

Here's a little LIVE Ashes to Ashes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKNvlceLjK4

His open hand playing is brilliant and driven feel onto the song amazing!

Back