Bernard "Pretty" Purdie

Everybody knows who Ringo is but I had never heard of BP till some time after I got into drumming and I was searching utube for inspiration.
I immediately saw the genius in this drummer and one has to wander why such a great drummer is not well known.
First of all I think only drummers know the name of great drummers. The general public will only know the singer or the lead guitar player at best.
Ringo was a special case because he was a member of the Beatles.
I knew of him from always and I as many others would be shocked to find out that he was not as good of a drummer as the legend built around him would indicate and the myth of the Beatles would be hurt (record sales).That is why it has to be kept secret and Purdy made to look like a fool for even insinuating that he was used in some of the Beatles songs.
For me it does not really matter. Purdy is awesome and unfortunately for him he was not a cute young man from Liverpool.
Funny, the only reason I know of Liverpool is because of the Beatles.

More Purdie awesomeness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCyRPCojb2Q

Here's an interesting thing from Wikipedia about BP's claims of being a hidden Beatle - I hadn't seen this before:
In the same year original Beatles drummer Pete Best and guitarist Tony Sheridan recorded tracks in Hamburg with the Beatles. Later Bernard Purdie added drum overdubs to tracks from these sessions,[6] including "Ain't She Sweet", "Take Out Some Insurance on Me Baby" and "Sweet Georgia Brown".[7] The main reason for this was to give them a punchier sound for the US market. These tracks were eventually released on January 31, 1964 by Polydor.[8] Ringo Starr's physical approach to drumming was probably influenced by Purdie's Motown style.[9]

Last edited:
Here's an interesting thing from Wikipedia about BP's claims of being a hidden Beatle - I hadn't seen this before:
In the same year original Beatles drummer Pete Best and guitarist Tony Sheridan recorded tracks in Hamburg with the Beatles. Later Bernard Purdie added drum overdubs to tracks from these sessions,[6] including "Ain't She Sweet", "Take Out Some Insurance on Me Baby" and "Sweet Georgia Brown".[7] The main reason for this was to give them a punchier sound for the US market. These tracks were eventually released on January 31, 1964 by Polydor.[8]

If this is true, then it seems both sides would be right.

Purdie would be right that he played on some Beatles tracks, and then was paid to keep shut about it, but Beatles fans would be correct that Purdie never replaced Ringo on anything, because those tracks were recorded BEFORE Ringo joined the band, but were only over-dubbed and released to the public AFTER Ringo joined.

Just saw Bernard last night at the Detroit Jazz Festival. Oh. My. God. His groove is just ridiculous. What a band!

CLWarunki (2 months ago)
You might have a point there, but nobody can prove wether or not he did or didn't ghost on any beatles sessions etc... so it's still a mystery, but with all his credentials WHY WOULD HE NEED TO LIE!? Oh and "Aja" was not just Purdie... remember Gadd? I think there was a 3rd drummer on that record too. So you know Bowie and McCartney personally eh?

i can now debunk this mystery. one of the guitar teachers who works for me is robert ahwai. he recorded Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band with purdy in 1978. we were chatting and i mentioned this mystery and he knows purdy well as they were in Hummingbird together for a few years as well. He says purdy has recorded so much and worked so hard that it is likely that he is confusing this beatles cover album with actual beatles recordings - if, and only if, Purdy is indeed makng these claims at all. it is far more likely that purdy was actually referring to the cover album and others misunderstood him and the rumour then spread like wildfire.
Ergo Ringo really does rule.
j

Anyone yet check out the interview/cover story with Bernard Purdie in the latest Drumhead magazine?

Interesting as always.

Drumhead is great, I will check it out!

It's a great read, with stories a-plenty as usual from him.

Plus he goes even further with The Beatles claims than ever before. Surprised it's not been reported on here as yet, that's all I'll say but you'll see what I mean. Ha!

I absolutely love the man, regardless of that aspect.

I remember reading his story in Modern Drummer mag. a long time ago. I didn't think it was true. In the next issue Bryan Addams' sound man wrote a reply to Purdie's interview saying that multi track recording was not used during those early Beatle recordings. So it was not possible to have another drummer overdub Ringo's tracks. They were recorded 2 track live. The whole band would have had to play their parts again with Purdie.

Interesting. Maybe the quote is taken out of context...or BP, approaching 80 , is slowly entering pre-dementia territory.

Alas, I doubt it would have been. He's been spouting it to anyone who'll listen for 30 odd years.

Great drummer.

Terribly unconvincing bullshitter.

I'm sure it's possible he was on a track or two, and we know the other lads themselves did some drumming here and there, but any statements about Ringo not being on any of it would not be correct.

The Ringo on the live recordings plays with the same feel that you hear on many of the studio tracks. That is undeniable truth.

I would suggest that dialog on Mr. Purdie stay centered on his credited tracks - and on his indisputable contributions to the art of drumming. He is a very important drummer in music history. And, these days he gets bonus points for playing Rich Sticks, the best sticks being made on the planet. :)

Interesting. Maybe the quote is taken out of context...or BP, approaching 80 , is slowly entering pre-dementia territory.

It's not taken out of context, in the Drumhead interview he claims Ringo was only the live drummer for the band and didn't appear on a single song.

Bunch of other claims about the band (including Paul McCartney's bass recordings) but that's the main bit. Would recommend getting a copy of the mag.

Still, I love the guy.

Great drummer but has an issue bullshitting-even about the year he was born as he claims 1939 when actually 1941. He did play on the Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Band Soundtrack from the flick so maybe he's just stretching the truth a bit-so technically he has played on a Beatles album-just with no Beatle LOL.

Purdie is like the Don King of Drummers- always promoting. But when he's speaking he doesn't come across so full of himself, often somewhat practical, not really bragging.

Love to watch him regardless, especially enjoyed his Drumeo video which was my favorite Drumeo video of all. What a fun lesson, and his stories/personal experiences are entertaining in addition to his tips.

This is the crazy Best answer to a viewer question he makes on that video:
"The biggest mistake a new drummer can make is....................
wear sneakers."

https://youtu.be/8pFysHHLM08?t=51m23s

Back