DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:49 PM

Default Drumming leading to eviction

Hi guys,

I live in a houseshare with 4 other people and they were all made aware that I have a band and need to practice. I even informed the landlord who was understanding also. Unfortunately one housemate has chosen to ignore the fact I told him this and because he doesn't communicate with anyone in the house has complained to the landlord who is now starting eviction proceedings.

The house mate did try to knock my door but I had headphones on so didn't hear him, I told them all that I can be contacted by phone or message, which they all do except for this one member. He has now gone to the landlord without informing me or at least given me a message to ask me to stop. I wasn't even playing overly loud or for longer than 10 minutes a day out of respect for the others. I now have to leave the band I'm in and have to find somewhere else to live but can't afford the time to do this as I have a 60 hour job to do just to make ends meet.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-28-2018, 12:25 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Drumming leading to eviction

What I think matters less than the language of your written rental agreement or lease. If you don't have something in writing allowing for an exception and making very loud noises violates your agreement, you probably don't have a leg to stand on.

If you're actually being served eviction papers and all that, I feel for you because that is only going to make it harder to find housing in the future. Being able to arrange to terminate your agreement with your landlord outside of eviction would be very much to your benefit.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac86 View Post
What do you guys think?
Drums are loud. Bands are loud. Life is full of compromise.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:47 AM
Silver Member

Find a place to live where you won't bother people. Maybe out in the country next to cows and trees.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Way Jose View Post
Find a place to live where you won't bother people. Maybe out in the country next to cows and trees.
Those places tend to be a little less expensive too, at least where I live.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member

You work 60 hours a week, but can't afford to live on your own? Man, that is rough. I guess you'll have to find new roommates and then rent a rehearsal place. They shouldn't be too much by the hour. Lockouts can get expensive though.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

Why would you have to do both: leave the band AND have to find somewhere else to live?

As far as eviction proceedings, seems that if the landlord gave you notice that you were in violation of your lease and you stopped playing there would be no eviction action. A landlord would only move to evict if you continued to violate terms of the lease and ignored warnings. Eviction is expensive for a landlord they'd rather have a paying tenant than go through expense of an eviction, move someone out, clean up, find another tenant, move new tenant in.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:42 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Sounds like he volunteered his place for rehearsals and without the place the band will move on. They may have let him in the band for the place to practice. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
You work 60 hours a week, but can't afford to live on your own? Man, that is rough. I guess you'll have to find new roommates and then rent a rehearsal place. They shouldn't be too much by the hour. Lockouts can get expensive though.
Spoken by someone living in LA? Guess it's not as bad as up here in the bay... You'd need about 5 full time minimum wage jobs to afford a roof over your head. So even relatively good jobs are forcing people to live with often 3 or 4 room mates.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:25 AM

rmac, most places in the US, it's difficult to evict a tenant and can take months. Where are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Way Jose View Post
That's what I did... Besides cows and roosters, I get to listen to dirt bikes and atv's ride down the property line, sometimes all day long.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

Many things don't add up here.. you can't hear someone knocking on your door to complain, you informed your roomates of the noise but did they agree? and other things but I'll just say .. I lived in apartments and house shares and found ways to practice without exceeding noise levels similar to a quiet stereo system. eg hanging my laundry on my kit or pads or get an e-kit.. or move to a better place with a soundproof basement - sometimes change is good.. but you can't annoy your room mates.. and ditch the headphones.. you're probably playing louder than you think..
Old 09-29-2018, 06:49 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I see where he says he informed them all of band practice, but I don't see where they all agreed. Maybe it all got to be too much or the guitar player had his amp turned up to 11, or if the one mate did agree, he changed his mind, or his life situation changed so that the practice was no longer acceptable. If the practice became a nuisance, I guess he had the right to complain. Most jurisdiction have noise nuisance laws that have nothing to do with time of day, just loudness. He hasn't been back to tell us, so who knows.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Gold Member

My only observation would be....drums are astonishingly loud. Especially that bass drum.

I used to practice at home in my detached house thinking "doing no-one any harm". Until my neighbour from three doors up came bashing on my door to complain.

My daughter once told me that she got off of the bus to come home and as soon as she stepped off the bus (probably about a quarter of a mile away) she could hear the thumping of my bass. Didn't believe it was me until it gradually got louder the nearer the house she got.

So....yep. I get why it would really piss people off.

You need e drums to practice on. And, by the way, even those are bloody loud !

A sincere apology to them all and commitment to not use the drums at home ever again might keep you your roof over your head. House sharing with others I can imagine absolutely no other solution.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Check the noise ordinance/laws in your area.

I know that where I live you can make noise up to a certain decibel level relative between the OUTSIDE and INSIDE of the living space...and making noise within those limits cannot be litigated and any threat of eviction(if you can prove it) can lead to(has precedence leading to...) a valid civil lawsuit against the landlord.(I keep that city ordinance printed and handy and am glad to share it with complainers...though I tend to be VERY accommodating....who needs a drummer bashing away when your new baby is trying to sleep!)

This was implemented in my area to deal with construction/leaf blowers/lawn mowers/large vehicle backup beeping/etc...but applies to anything.

I don't think a full blasting band would be under that limit....but reducing amplitude is a great way to practice both as a band and as an individual player.

Just keep your eyes open for things like glass strewn behind your car tires from unhappy neighbors...or set up cameras and prosecute them : )

...but its different most everywhere....so check with a lawyer...or do the research yourself.

I don't think being a bad neighbor is worth the practice space...better to look elsewhere for practice space.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:31 AM

I hear people talk about having a seperate studio for drums or whatever they arent allowed to do where they live... does anyone on here know if there are any affordable options to store and play a kit? like literally just big enough to set up comfortably and store extra equipment. I personally want to sell my house and move into an apartment, but haven't because i don't want to lose the ability to play my kit... among other things lol
Old 10-03-2018, 01:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamscomedy View Post
does anyone on here know if there are any affordable options to store and play a kit? like literally just big enough to set up comfortably and store extra equipment. I personally want to sell my house and move into an apartment, but haven't because i don't want to lose the ability to play my kit... among other things lol
Duff McKagan in his book about Guns n' Roses describes how they rented a storage unit and used it for practice space.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Man that's tough. When I was college age I was one arrogant inconsiderate pecker head. If I lived next to me now-he and I would probably have a confrontation LOL. So I had my stereo hooked up to these two PA speakers-each with four or five speakers-man you could hear it three blocks away. Now we had the police calling on us all the time-we had to tie a water hose to our back deck railing to climb out and escape one time. But we were never evicted. Lots of neighbors would knock on our door and as they were running down the stairs yell at us to keep it quiet. We were a scary bunch apparently. We moved on our own accord. Seems like a raw deal considering your efforts to be obliging. I should be ashamed to admit it but such is life (young arrogant fool).
Old 10-11-2018, 03:31 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies.

Just to clarify that it was only me playing in the house with all house mates agreeing it was fine.

I have since had a word with the house mate who reported me and I have agreed to not play again in exchange for him retracting his complaint, which he has now done.

Just have to find somewhere to practice now...
Old 10-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Man that's tough. When I was college age I was one arrogant inconsiderate pecker head. If I lived next to me now-he and I would probably have a confrontation LOL. So I had my stereo hooked up to these two PA speakers-each with four or five speakers-man you could hear it three blocks away. Now we had the police calling on us all the time-we had to tie a water hose to our back deck railing to climb out and escape one time. But we were never evicted. Lots of neighbors would knock on our door and as they were running down the stairs yell at us to keep it quiet. We were a scary bunch apparently. We moved on our own accord. Seems like a raw deal considering your efforts to be obliging. I should be ashamed to admit it but such is life (young arrogant fool).
It's good to see you are no longer arrogant. lol
Old 10-11-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac86 View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies.

Just to clarify that it was only me playing in the house with all house mates agreeing it was fine.

I have since had a word with the house mate who reported me and I have agreed to not play again in exchange for him retracting his complaint, which he has now done.

Just have to find somewhere to practice now...
Glad to hear things have worked out (sort of...)
Wouldn't a cheap electronic kit or mesh head acoustic kit suffice as far as practising goes?
Old 10-14-2018, 03:22 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajthundersticks View Post
Glad to hear things have worked out (sort of...)
Wouldn't a cheap electronic kit or mesh head acoustic kit suffice as far as practising goes?
Really depends on the layout of the space he is living. If he's on a second floor and there are others below the bass drum will still be an issue even with mesh or electronic drums. The pedal still makes a thump that is transferred through the floor into the space below. You can build a tennis ball riser to help reduce that which I have heard from many members here that it works.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Really depends on the layout of the space he is living. If he's on a second floor and there are others below the bass drum will still be an issue even with mesh or electronic drums. The pedal still makes a thump that is transferred through the floor into the space below. You can build a tennis ball riser to help reduce that which I have heard from many members here that it works.
Yeah the tennis balls seem to be a popular option, combine that with some nice thick carpet off cuts and it should be okay
Old 10-17-2018, 03:02 AM

Having gracious neighbors is a true blessing.

When I lived in an apartment complex I had a downstairs neighbor knock on my door to ask me to stop playing my PRACTICE PAD, since the vibrations were traveling down the chair I was playing it on. So even with something like that, make sure you set it on a cushion of some sort.

Later, and at a different apartment, I would set up my kick pedal against a sofa, use a cushioned chair as a "snare", and a padded stool as "hi hats" so that I could run through grooves for worship songs.

Now I can play drums where I live and it's incredible.

Pretty sure we've all had to deal with working hard to not annoy neighbors, and it stinks!!
Old 10-17-2018, 04:03 PM

Sorry to hear that, rmac86
I had a similar situation with my new place and neighbors where I did not want them to know I even had a drumstick or a single drum in the house.
I asked members of this nice forum to help me out in picking out an e-Drum kit, as I had an idea of brand and model. I had a budget as this would be an additional kit to the others. I had almost pulled the trigger purchasing what I thought would be the answer to not drawing attraction to me.
In the process of contemplation, I stumbled upon the Zildjian L80 low-volume cymbals combined with Remo Silentstroke drumheads. Certain online stores have bundles you can purchase to save a little more cash and you can also pick up single or individual cymbals to compliment your kit. I went for the bigger ride and an addition 10" slpash. I will be adding the China model Zildjian has to match the studio kit. Oh. I had to get a different bass drum head as Remo only offers up to a 24". I picked up a similar head like Remo by
Pintech (Reaction Series mesh head).

... and all this, with the same funds !

I did not want to deal with a new type system that I had to have cables and an amp of some sort. I really like the fact that I can play my full size kit and not have to deal with the e-Drum setup, which has a smaller feel when playing. With this new setup I have it all with my acoustic kit and really nothing has changed except for the volume. Not an issue anymore, and my neighbors non the wiser that I even have a 26" kit, and this kit could destroy worlds, but now, I just keep the mice from sleeping now.

Matter of fact, if one does not want to go the e-Drum route, and now that I have hands-on proof,
I HIGHLY recommend this application. :-D
Old 10-17-2018, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
It's good to see you are no longer arrogant. lol
ROFL. Johnny I take "pride" in two things-being a good father and a good scientist-rest I'm mediocre or suck. And don't forget I've establish I'm an idiot. So I'm pretty proud of that too. But I'm good with that LOL ;)
Old 10-17-2018, 04:34 PM

I've seriously considered renting an indoor storage unit near my work for practicing. I'd need an indoor, climate controlled place because I'm in Michigan..!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:38 PM

https://remo.com/products/product/silentstroke/

i play drums in an NYC apartment building with these heads. Zero complaints from neighbors.