Best all around snare drum

rubboardman

I am in the market for a new snare drum, I play mostly blues but would like your opinions about what would be the best all around snare drum, for all types of music. I have a 5.5 x 14 birch snare, so I am leaning more towards a metal or brass snare, any input would be welcome. P.S. don't really need the very high end snare just a really nice all around good sound.

I play blues, as well as other types of music... best all around snare?

14x5 Ludwig Supraphonic. Old, new, doesn't matter.

Ludwig Supraphonic 14"x6,5"!
There is no other choice!

An Acrolite is pretty versatile and won't ring as much as a brass snare.

I like brass.

You got your Black Beauties and all the knockoffs (Pork Pie, World Max, Ahead, etc..)

Snares are like rides. You end up having a few at least to cover the different sounds for different styles.

Is supraphonic the name of the Ludwig drum? Is it the chrome plated aluminum drum, what does supra phonic stand for?

The best all round snare is one that you put a different head on. You cna completely change the sound of a snare by chaning even just the batter head. Then some tuning adjustments and whatever damping you may or may not want, and you can get any sound you like. Different heads are made to get different sounds but IMO, brass is a good material to start with for snares. And maybe even continue with. Lot of people like brass snares and my Pearl Sensitone is a great one. 14" - 6.5" of heaven.

xoxo

Bronze or copper may also be a good fit for you. They're both dark, with bronze ringing a bit and copper being pretty dry. Careful with the Acrolite/Supraphonic, they're higher pitched, which you said you didn't want.

Ludwig Supraphonics are those high end metal seamless snares with P-85 throw-offs - although, I'd still count a drum with a P-86 as a Supraphonic, unlike a drum with a P-70, (Supersensitive) which is a type of snare tensioner/strainer that tensions the wires independently of the pressure of the wires on the head installed on the same shell.

Supras, as they're affectionately called, come in chrome over aluminium, brass (chrome over brass, and black nickel over brass aka "Black Beauty"), and Bronze. They come in 14x5 and 14x6.5 (with a piccolo option on one or two of them).

Very popular snares. Bonham made the aluminum 6.5x14 legendary as Ringo did with his 5x14 aluminum. Black Beauties are pretty much the gold standard for brass snares.

Ludwig is very proud of these snares and it's reflected in the price, but they hold their value very well.

Anyway! To the OP, any of the Ludwig Supra's would get my vote, but I'm partial to the 6.5x14 aluminum (which I have) and 6.5x14 Black Beauty (wished I had).

I've also been on the lookout for a 5 or 5.5x14 maple snare. I played on a Mapex Meridian maple that knocked my socks off. It could be played lightly or smacked hard with the butt end of a hefty stick and never choked - I was amazed at the sound and even more amazed at the price ($125 new!). Don't know why I didn't buy it right then, but it may still happen.

Mapex Black Panthers offer a lot for the money. You should try to get out and find a shop with many to play on. Again, I find it impossible to buy something based on internet opinions although Ludwig Supra's have been a standard by which others are made and judged and most often copied.

Yeah, the Mapex Black Panthers are definitely worth some close scrutiny. I was just checking one out and love the new stick saver hoop design they came up with. Pretty stout and probably plays like a cross between a triple flange, die cast, and a Slingerland... like an S-Hoop, but cool-looking and with something to grab onto (anyone with an S-Hoop knows what I'm talking about with that).

Bronze or copper may also be a good fit for you. They're both dark, with bronze ringing a bit and copper being pretty dry. Careful with the Acrolite/Supraphonic, they're higher pitched, which you said you didn't want.

Your higher pitched comment seems inaccurate to me. I have a 6.5x14" Supraphonic chrome over brass and it tends to sound great no matter what tension I tune it at. It only sounds "high pitched" when I crank it way up. Bright may be the word you're looking for but not high pitched.

It's impossible to go wrong with an aluminum or brass beaded drum. Supraphonic, Black Beauty, or any offerings from Pork Pie, World Max, Pearl, Yamaha, Tama, whatever...

Just get one in the depth you want. You won't regret it.

I am in the market for a new snare drum, I play mostly blues but would like your opinions about what would be the best all around snare drum, for all types of music. I have a 5.5 x 14 birch snare, so I am leaning more towards a metal or brass snare, any input would be welcome. P.S. don't really need the very high end snare just a really nice all around good sound.

You really can't go wrong with any of the $200-$300 (US $) mid-level Black Beauty clones that most manufacturers have now (Ludwig "Black Magic", Pork Pie "Big Black", etc..). I personally own a Big Black that I bought about 3 months ago and I love it!

By the way, I think it is funny that Ludwig has an inexpensive clone of their own flagship snare!!

The best sounding snare is the one I don't have at the moment. I would love to add a Ludwig to my collection. Supraphonic would be great.

The best sounding snare is the one I don't have at the moment. I would love to add a Ludwig to my collection. Supraphonic would be great.
Agree...

I use to have a 14 x 6. It was one of the most versatile snare drums. I've played all kinds of music and could get this drum to sound good with any style I played.

I want to replace it!

Good thread!
I have a 14x6.5 lm402 Ludwig Supra and a recent new purchase a Pork Pie Big Black, and I must say I hardly ever play the Supra anymore, the sound of Brass is just awesome. I always have a special place for the Luddy but with all the Black Bueaty clones being sold out there at a comparable sound i might add, why spend that much on a snare. Your paying for the name. Pork Pie, great product from a great reliable drum company.

I thinking that I want a Tama Bell Brass lately. I hope the feeling passes.

Back