Tom Mount Help!

MetallicaItalian

I have a pdp at home waiting to be set up. It is an X7 maple kit. I have a Pearl ICON rack and plenty of clamps to spare. I would like to rack mount my toms keeping the bass drum free. Obviously, if I try to rack mount the bass mount arms that come with the kit, I will be limited in their positioning because of the tube's length. It would have to go through the bass mount for ideal positioning, defeating the purpose or sit in front of the bass drum.

I'm short on cash and I am aware of the 10.5mm ball tom mounts available. My question is, would I be able to flip this kick drum tom mount upside down and clamp it so that the pole would be sticking up in the air (likely looking very ridiculous)? Am I able to invert the ball and socket joints to accommodate for this?

know it's kind of a specific question but I'm hoping someone can help. I'm coming from Pearl Export ISS mounting system so I don't have any experience with this ball socket business.

Here is the URL of what I would be attempting to mount upside down, minus the legs of course: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pacific-Drums-by-DW-TS990-900-Series-Double-Tom-Stand?sku=443556

Last edited:
I'm short on cash and I am aware of the 10.5mm ball tom mounts available. My question is, would I be able to flip this kick drum tom mount upside down and clamp it so that the pole would be sticking up in the air (likely looking very ridiculous)? Am I able to invert the ball and socket joints to accommodate for this?

The ball arms should rotate through 360 degrees, so yes, upside down should be no issue. Later on you can get a fitting adapter to drop a cymbal arm into the vertical pipe and have a unique and functional piece of gear using only one rack clamp.

Or you can take a hack saw to it. the metal is prety thin and easy to cut. I had modified many of my stands down tubes ( when I used a rack) with no problem....another option is to unscrew the wing nut that holds the ball in place enough to take the ball L-Arm completly out of the stand and then mount the ball directly in a clamp...although that may not be the sturdiest option, it should work good enough untill you can afford new tom arms.

Back