Bassist From Dave Weckl The Chicken Video

It is Tom Kennedy. Me and my bass player were talking about this the other day.

What do you think of his solo? I think it's an atrocious chop-fest. Might be the nature of the band, or might just be his personal love of speed, but there's not really anything interesting in it. Comments?

What do you think of his solo? I think it's an atrocious chop-fest. Might be the nature of the band, or might just be his personal love of speed, but there's not really anything interesting in it. Comments?

It's the nature of the band with these particular members. The saxophone has a great sense of melody, and all of the other players display their monster chops not only during their solos, but throughout the comping as well.

Yeah, it's impressive that Weckl can phrase a simple 4/4 funk tune as though the sheet music was thrown into a blender, but at least he and Tom were playing to the right audience (Drum and Bass Day at the Collective). If you're into this kind of thing (which I AM...), he fills the niche nicely. His CD, Multiplicity, is a must-have if you dig this video...

Good point. Didn't realize it was for a Drum and Bass day, although the audience does seem pretty appreciative. Not slamming Weckl's groove, just Kennedy's choice of speed over musicality. Otherwise a great track.

Back