Premier drum set ID and price?

StephenHall2013

Hi all! I am new to this forum. I've been a percussionist for years but haven't gotten super into playing set aside from in musicals and wind ensembles. I've gotten by thus far on the mantra of "keep it simple," though, I'm interested in practicing a lot more and I have the time now!

I'm looking for a relatively cheap drum set with quality build/hardware/etc to use for gigs/practicing. I think it is better to go with a cheaper set and use great heads and tuning--which I have a lot of experience with playing multi-percussion--than buy a more expensive set.

A used Premier drum set caught my eye. According to the seller it has 6-ply birch shells. Besides that, I couldn't tell what model it is. I'm going to check it out today.

Can y'all help me figure out what kind of Premier set this is, and whether it is a good deal for $400 (all hardware/cymbals/throne is included except he wants $50 extra for the rack, and the cymbals probably aren't that great but I am planning to buy cymbals separately anyway)? Also, what are some of the first things that you look for that could lower the price/desirability? i.e. cracks, mold, broken hardware, etc. I'll include the link to craigslist below.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/3941260810.html

Thanks!
Stephen

It looks like a Premier ABK from approx the mid 90s (?).

Which were not all birch shells.

Still, they were pretty good kits for the money at the time.

The bass drum pedal is a cheap piece of junk IMHO.

Without a better view of the cymbals, it's hard to say if $400 is a great deal, but it seems to be in a reasonable ball park.

Back