Belt drive vs Chain drive

art5

Hi all,

now I'm quite sure this has been asked before, sorry I couldn't find the thread.
Would you mind sharing with me your thoughts on belt drive vs chain drive (& on what pedal do you play) based on your experience?

The pedal I play is currently Pearl eliminator series single (would love to try out Yamaha pedal soon). Haven't tried DW pedals yet I hear a lot about them.

Thanks all

I currently play all three - chain, cam and strap, and direct, and I've got them all pretty much feeling the same. I can fly on any one of them. Pros and cons of any of them? Not sure. Just learn how to play what you have really well and get out there!

I currently play all three - chain, cam and strap, and direct, and I've got them all pretty much feeling the same. I can fly on any one of them. Pros and cons of any of them? Not sure. Just learn how to play what you have really well and get out there!

+1 Pedals have come a long way, but each is better than for something. I decided on an AXIS many years as it is fast, light, and easy to get parts for. I have seem some say it does not allow a hard a hit as say a Cobra. As Bo says ' Just learn how to play what you have really well and get out there!'

I also love my Axis pedal. Have yet to find anything that feels just so to my right foot.

I also replaced the chain on my cheapie Tama pedal with a leather strap that I cut from some scrap. Feels pretty good under my foot, slightly softer feel.

OP, this has been discussed to death. There really is no answer that we can give you. Just try as many pedals out as you can. Try out your friends pedals and try them out in stores. The more expensive ones are not necessarily going to be the best, its really all about which one feels the best under your foot/feet.

Thank you all for the inputs...
very true, my foot already loves my Pearl eliminator too much, even DW9000 (which is 3x the price) cannot beat it
Thanks!

I've opted for straps on my mapex falcons but honestly I can't feel the difference, I just have a feeling the strap is more malleable and won't get stiff or ceased up like a chain.

I've opted for straps on my mapex falcons but honestly I can't feel the difference, I just have a feeling the strap is more malleable and won't get stiff or ceased up like a chain.

I Agree! No difference for me personally but it is more malleable

I do however prefer direct drive pedals, I have a Trick Pro1-v and it is absolutely incredible! The way I have it set, I produce the same punch as Iron Cobra's (which I also own)

The only thing that technically matters is how well your foot adjusts to each because once it does, they will feel the same. IMHO, it was hard for me to enjoy a direct drive pedal because to me, it is harder to exploit the slight "lag" you get in a chain or strap drive for heel-toe.

Strap and Direct Drive pedals are my preference. I own a Sonor Perfect Balance strap drive, a Rogers Big R Supreme strap drive and for direct drives I have an Axis A 21 Lazer pedal and two Axis X ( one longboard and one regular).

The Sonor is my favourite followed by the Axis A21. I love the light , smooth feel of the Sonor PB pedal.

My order of preference is direct drive first, then strap, then chain.
Chain and strap feel pretty similar, but most of my chain drives have some noise/clankiness to them.

Back