gretsch renowns!!!

stasz

Platinum Member
I just scored these off ebay. $830 after shipping for 22" kick and 3 toms!!!! Couldn't be more happy. After these ship, every drum and all but one cymbal on my kit are ones that I bought used. I can't stress the advantages of buying used gear. I only get to open them at christmas so expect an updated thread early next year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180303826293

s2-1.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

5-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

Very nice. But no floor tom?? Is that 8, 10, 12 or 10 , 12, hanging 14.

Went to ebay an ad was taken down.

Upon further review scrolling down works well. Thanks.

Ok.

I'm jealous right now.

Went to ebay an ad was taken down.

Upon further review scrolling down works well. Thanks.

Yeah, it's a 10, 12, 14 setup all on RIMS mounts. The seller says this finish is hard to find so it might be tough to find a matching 16 but for now I'm very happy with three toms. I also was surprised to not find a virgin bass, but it doesn't really matter to me, and of course on the bright side I don't have to buy any clamps for the rack toms.

So about how I was only going to open them at christmas... well, I had to open them to make sure they weren't damaged anyway so my parents decided to let me go ahead and set them up. Somehow I think they were a little excited to see them set up too.

Anyway here they are set up... just spent all morning getting everything just right and adjusted and doing some tuning. My first impression is WOW-- these drums are great. I can't complain about anything. The hardware that was shipped is all great, they look beautiful and they sound as good as they look. I have already discovered (almost by accident) that the toms have pretty wide tuning ranges, at least compared to my old set. The seller thankfully had already replaced the heads (according to the ebay page about 6 months ago) and they're in pretty good condition. The kick sounds sexy and the toms are big and warm especially for their sizes. I'm very satisfied with the kit. Without further ado...

Gretsch Renown Maple

22 x 18- Aquarian SKII clear w/ remo white falam slam/Black gretsch logo front head
8 x 10- Evans EC2 clear/Evans G1 clear
9 x 12- "
14 x 14- "
5 x 14 Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite snare- Remo coated amb/SS clear amb

Cymbals

Paiste Giant Beat 14" Hi hats
Paiste 5o5 20" Ride
Paiste Traditionals 20" Medium ride
Sabian Aaxplosion 20" crash

Flying dragon kick pedal, assorted hardware, vic firth sticks

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0002.jpg

DSCN0003.jpg

DSCN0004.jpg

DSCN0005.jpg

DSCN0006.jpg

DSCN0007.jpg

DSCN0008.jpg

DSCN0016.jpg

DSCN0017.jpg

DSCN0018.jpg

DSCN0019.jpg

That's a pretty nice set you've managed to get yourself there! Setting up new gear for the first time is always exciting. And slow, but mainly exciting.

Setting up new gear for the first time is always exciting. And slow, but mainly exciting.

No kidding. And I've barely even started. Alternate tunings, adjusting everything over time, deciding if I want to use all three toms.... I also had this crazy idea that I might try setting up the 14" as a bass drum sometime, maybe if I pick up a powerstroke 3 for the batter. Soon (meaning when I have money) I'll probably throw new heads on all the batters.

Wow,

I was suprised to see my kit on this site. I guess I sold them to you on ebay. You will love this kit. Enjoy!
Alan

I sold the 16x16 the week before. It did not come with the kit when I purchased it. It was an add on, Sold ot for $400.00 and got all my money and then some.

Wow,

I was suprised to see my kit on this site. I guess I sold them to you on ebay. You will love this kit. Enjoy!
Alan

Hahaha! That was unexpected. I guess this is as good a time as any to thank you for doing such a great job taking care of them as well as packing them (of course I'll add to your feedback page on eBay as well). I see you're definitely not in need of this kit with your beautiful ddrums! Wow on that 16" floor sale. You sold it for half of what I paid for the rest of the kit!! Just wondering, did the kit come with a matching snare? If so did you sell it as well? Unfortunately I'm in no position to buy anything right now but I'm just curious. As long as I'm asking... what year did you buy the kit? Thanks!!

Hey,

I purchased the kit new 1.5 years ago. As with all my gear I try to keep them in excellent condition. The set did come with a matching snare drum in which I decided to keep. You can see a few of my current and pasted kits on my website. www.awdrums.com
You did a nice job with the setup.
take care
aw

No kidding. And I've barely even started. Alternate tunings, adjusting everything over time, deciding if I want to use all three toms.... I also had this crazy idea that I might try setting up the 14" as a bass drum sometime, maybe if I pick up a powerstroke 3 for the batter. Soon (meaning when I have money) I'll probably throw new heads on all the batters.

I've done the 14" bass drum thing and it's definitely worth a try. Use the mounts in an inverted position to get the drum into place and use the cymbal stand legs as the stop for the pedal. Works wonders and seeing as it's a 14", you're not going to be laying into the bass drum because it'll choke if you do - hence why the cymbal stand legs are enough.

Great buy, YE0M.. that's one of my favorite drum kits.. A great sounding kit at a great price. Look the finish too. Try G2 clears on the toms when you think of changing heads..
just a thought.

Welcome to the Renown Club. You did a great job on the price and they look amazing set up. If you really need it keep an eye open for the 16 inch tom.. My set is 8, 10, 12, 14 and have it tuned pretty low so you may not need it. MERRY CHRISTMAS

Last edited:
Congrats on the great kit! I think it's pretty cool that you and the seller are both at DW so he can see that his babies have gone to a good home. Maybe you can send pictures to him once a month, you know, Sally Struthers style!

I really dig the color; I am also a big fan of the 10,12,14 setup. And I eventually added a 16" tom to add the deep tone. I found I can tune my stuff pretty low (with a nice pitch bend) and being that the Renowns are such high quality, I'm sure the tuning range can take them as low as you may want.

Now that your quality control inspection has been concluded, you must pack those things up so they can be put under the Christmas tree - just be sure not to drip any tears on the finish in the process.

BTW, what's the fate of your USA Customs?

Lucky Duck. I really want a Renown. Im heavily considering selling my session and purchasing a Renown. But $830 is a ridiculous price. Congrats.

Back