My Tama Saga: Excitement, Anticipation, Disapppointment, Anger, More Anger, Redemption, Satisfaction

WayneWickman

Last May I ordered a Tama Starclassic Bubinga. I got it about ten weeks later. When it was finally delivered I was very impressed how it was packaged. Every single item was individually packaged, wrapped in foam/rubber/cardboard. Not a chance of anything getting damaged. Everything was looking real good, the last item out of the box was the bass shell. I didn't notice anything at first but as I turned it around I noticed two large cracks in the shell, and the hoops were not even close to the color of the rest of the kit. Was not happy to say the least. I immediately called my dealer who got on it right away. I took pictures which were forwarded to Tama. I was pretty PO'd and was ready to return the whole kit. My dealer talked to Tama who said "We will make your new bass drum a priority and expedite the shipment when it's ready. Keep the drums, play them, and if your still not happy when you get the new bass/hoops you can return them." I agreed, had nothing to lose. A month later I called my dealer to find out the status of the new shell. Turns out somebody at Tama had totally dropped the ball and nothing was getting done. I called my dealer and said "Tama has one week to get me my new shell or I'm returning the kit." Dealer called Tama USA and gave them my ultimatum. Tama was very apologetic and some heads rolled. For my trouble they offered my either any snare from their Starphonic line or a double IC pedal at no charge. The Starphonics retail for about $500...So...in about 3 more weeks I receive my new shell with a brand new Starphonic Brass tucked nicely inside. I also commented I didn't like the Fiberskin logo head included with this kit so they sent me a black one instead as a bonus. Hoops arrived shortly thereafter. That's the end of the saga. Very satisfied with the drums; sound and look fantastic. And for those who follow my studio project thread...just in time to christen the room.
Studio thread:
http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61342

Attachments

• Studio 018.jpg
    Studio 018.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Studio 012.jpg
    Studio 012.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 237
  • Studio 016.jpg
    Studio 016.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 238
Great story! Everyone makes mistakes, but when a company goes the extra mile to make things right, it will often pay off. For the cost of that extra snare drum (nice throw-in, by the way!), they may have bought a customer who comes back and makes another purchase down the road.

That's a great story. In other threads here it's been discussed how disappointed folks are with Tama's customer relations. It's great that your hoops are colored on the inside as well. Mine show the wood on the edges and the inside. Is this new for the Bubinga line?

This is the 2010 Starclassic Bubinga line, not the Elite Bubinga. The Elite is the same construction but more elaborate finishes. Then there is the Bubinga OmniTune option. I credit my dealer with making this all happen. If he didn't work so hard from the begining I would of returned them on day one.

Back