Best Buys from NAMM 2014?

Is there any indication as to where the NAMM floor models are going to?
Who get's them?

Ummmmmmm SONOR!

Hows that chocolate inner ply? Sweeet!

Take that SIGNET 105

Sonor has done this for a long time. Also when I was at the factory at the end of 2012 they had an Ebony white stripes interior kit that was finished on the outside in a red lacquer finish. They will more or less build anything you want. Yes even outside the SQ2 configuration I have seen and heard combinations that were far out there.

I'm upgrading from my Tama Rockstars this year, and after considering the Pearl Vision VB, a used Mapex Meridian Birch, Tama Silverstar, etc. I've decided to hold out until March and nab one of those new Mapex Mars kits in the white finish. Possibly an Armory 6pc if I manage to acquire a little extra cash. One of my main desires in a new kit is shallow toms... I struggle to play power and even standard toms because of my height, and it appears both of the new Mapex kits have them.

Too be clear, he did get off with just a warning.

Yup watch those camera angles Bill, they could hurt you down the road. : )

Thanks for the admonition. But do you really think that someone like Bernie Stone is going to put out something that's total crap? It seems that you are the "Arbiter of Quality" around these parts. Maybe it's you to whom I ought to send a snare drum to for review. You game? Because I'll do it. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the admonition. But do you really think that someone like Bernie Stone is going to put out something that's total crap?

It seems that you are the "Arbiter of Quality" around these parts. Maybe it's you to whom I ought to send a snare drum to for review. You game? Because I'll do it. :D

I don't know anything about Bernie Stone, but by the same token we didn't think Ronn Dunnett would let his name go out on the ($2k) POS aligned LUDWIG CHIEF either. I saw a ten lug DIXON snare drum in a shop priced at $100/new, all the lugs were laser straight.

Yeah, pretty much I am the most active officer in the lug splay division, but this forum is loaded with quality control-police, and many more willing than I to review a Bernie Stone snare drum.

Since you're the guy in charge of the website Bill, my advise which I've been crowing all over this forum to manufactures is: Use your site to promote product with pictures. A pic 'is' worth a thousand words.

Take shots (with a good camera) of the drums heads off, sideways, macro the insides of the lugs...you can't show me enough. Exhaust us with pics, then we'll be more inclined to take the next step.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    170 KB · Views: 428
I don't know anything about Bernie Stone, but by the same token we didn't think Ronn Dunnett would let his name go out on the ($2k) POS aligned LUDWIG CHIEF either. I saw a ten lug DIXON snare drum in a shop priced at $100/new, all the lugs were laser straight.

Yeah, pretty much I am the most active officer in the lug splay division, but this forum is loaded with quality control-police, and many more willing than I to review a Bernie Stone snare drum.

Since you're the guy in charge of the website Bill, my advise which I've been crowing all over this forum to manufactures is: Use your site to promote product with pictures. A pic 'is' worth a thousand words.

Take shots (with a good camera) of the drums heads off, sideways, macro the insides of the lugs...you can't show me enough. Exhaust us with pics, then we'll be more inclined to take the next step.

You're a good dude, Les IsMore. :D I will make those pics happen. When I got home from NAMM it would seem the Nigerian Cyber Army had had its way with some of our sites so I've spent this week rebuilding a few things and the Stone site is next up on the block.

I do another drum manufacturer's site and his got bit as well. Site software....gotta keep that Joomla and Wordpress and Drupal stuff updated, folks! :D

fisheye aberration

Also known in lesser amounts as "barrel distortion." However, the picture of the Stone drum exhibited pincushion disortion, which is quite the opposite. It's like the photo sucking in the fat.

I'm excited to see the new DW pedals. It's nice to see them offering a pedal that's manufactured (not just assembled) in the USA.

Most of the stuff Ronn Dunnett produced for NAMM this year was simply amazing. I'm really excited to hear the Rosewood George Way snare, and that kit... I recently got a walnut Tradition snare and it's wonderful.

It's not a snare, but here's the picture I took of the Stone kit

stone_01.jpg

Other than re-size the photo to smaller size, I didn't adjust anything!

But maybe I should disclose BillRayDrums was standing next to me when I took it. lol.

Also known in lesser amounts as "barrel distortion." However, the picture of the Stone drum exhibited pincushion disortion, which is quite the opposite. It's like the photo sucking in the fat.

Ya - I just searched for 'lens aberration' and got a bewildering array of results - way too much to sort through. I just used 'fisheye' because it was previously mentioned in the thread.

At any rate - camera lenses can do some very unfunny things.

I also didn't find anything that stood out much above anything else. Signet was new in concept, Tama had some nice but costly reissues, DW entered the direct drive pedal fray, Pear had some sweet new snares, and Sakae expanded their offerings, but nothing truly groundbreaking or amazing or "must-have" as far as I could see.

Lots of coool stuff for sure, but nothing in the "you HAVE to see this!" category.

Bermuda

The only "wow" I saw was the 3 ply Gretsch prototype. But that's just a prototype, who knows what it sounds like or if it will even come out.

Back