Need some new sticks. Advice?

jacol

Hey Ive been playing for quite some time and i think i need to toughen up and get some heavy sticks, ive been using 7a forever, and ive been recently been using some of my friends heavy sticks and im finding it really usefull for drum rolls and fills. I didnt ask him what the size was but i need some sticks that are really durable and a little heavy.

I'm currently clutching a set of silverfox drumsticks which claim to be very durable. Carbosticks are seriously durable, i've been using some for a good 5 or 6 months and they're still working, however they do leave nasty marks on your drums and cymbals which is why i decided to give these a go. You might want to try some if you want durable. In terms of sizes, try going for a 5A or 5B set. 5 means that it's longer than a 7 but not quite as long as a 2. A or B is how thick the stick is, B is thicker.

This question is virtually impossible to answer. The best thing you can do is head to your nearest drum shop and try as many pair as possible. Sit down w/ a practice pad and grab a few pair that feel good to you.

With sticks, there are just too many choices! It sounds like you could start with a 5A or a 5B sized stick and find one you like.

Like what Zambizzi said, start with maybe a 5a, and work from there. Make some choices, a shorter stick, thicker, thinnner, maybe a different tip? It all up to you and your needs.

Hope this helps

I'm currently clutching a set of silverfox drumsticks which claim to be very durable. Carbosticks are seriously durable, i've been using some for a good 5 or 6 months and they're still working, however they do leave nasty marks on your drums and cymbals which is why i decided to give these a go. You might want to try some if you want durable. In terms of sizes, try going for a 5A or 5B set. 5 means that it's longer than a 7 but not quite as long as a 2. A or B is how thick the stick is, B is thicker.

I'd stay away from carbosticks and aheads if I were you, or anyone else for that matter. You can't rimshot, and they destroy your heads and cymbals

I'd stay away from carbosticks and aheads if I were you, or anyone else for that matter. You can't rimshot, and they destroy your heads and cymbals
Carbosticks work great for rimshots. I think they actually sound better than wooden sticks when it comes to rimshots. Other than that, they have too much flex and they feel awful, but they won't do any more damage to heads and cymbals than wooden sticks if you have good technique.

Carbosticks work great for rimshots. I think they actually sound better than wooden sticks when it comes to rimshots. Other than that, they have too much flex and they feel awful, but they won't do any more damage to heads and cymbals than wooden sticks if you have good technique.

Actually that's not strictly true on the cymbals:

4179_1057251759558_1473790586_30179372_6347897_n.jpg

Still working, not cracked but just look at those marks mate. That's all from using carbosticks. I do agree about the rimshots, their solidness means that they can transfer all the energy from the stick into the sound rather than just denting the stick. It also damages your drums more.

If you played with 7a, definitely you must go for 5A, and gradually use 5B. For me Vic Firth American classic are a good choice,not too expensive, great feel and heavy enough...luck my friend...

Hey Ive been playing for quite some time and i think i need to toughen up and get some heavy sticks, ive been using 7a forever, and ive been recently been using some of my friends heavy sticks and im finding it really usefull for drum rolls and fills. I didnt ask him what the size was but i need some sticks that are really durable and a little heavy.

Check this link: http://www.vicfirth.com/products/americanclassic.html

I personally use Vic Firth 5B, perfect for heavy rock and Vic Firth 5A is light, smooth, a bit more jazzer.....I hope it helps.

Actually that's not strictly true on the cymbals:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...57251759558_1473790586_30179372_6347897_n.jpg
Still working, not cracked but just look at those marks mate. That's all from using carbosticks. I do agree about the rimshots, their solidness means that they can transfer all the energy from the stick into the sound rather than just denting the stick. It also damages your drums more.
ZBT have really poor quality protective coating, it chips and peels off, but that is just a cosmetic "damage". Take some coloured sticks, such as Travis Barker sigs, and you'll get an even worse looking cymbal.

If you're able to find them, check out Los Cabos drumsticks. They make terrific drumsticks and cost half the price of many other companies.

ZBT have really poor quality protective coating, it chips and peels off, but that is just a cosmetic "damage". Take some coloured sticks, such as Travis Barker sigs, and you'll get an even worse looking cymbal.

oh yeah of course it's just cosmetic, it still sounds just as crap as when i first got it!

I also like 7A's, but now I use Vater Stewart Copeland sticks. Kinda between a 5A and 5B with a round bead. Very duarable sticks and they sound great on the cymbals, especially the ride. They also feel good in my hand.

This is a very personal decision when choosing sticks. I suggest you get to a drum shop and get some different sticks in your hands before making any purchases.

did you ever think about trying a heavier wood like jatoba? you can keep a smaller handle size and get a heavier stick. this way it doesn't feel like your holding telephone poles. if you thickened the neck up about a good .3-.5 cm maybe even .8cm, causing the tip to thicken as well, you now have more weight at the end of the stick (thats not a fat one) to make louder sounds

Back