What drum heads should i get for bonham, paice, Mitch Mitchell style drumming

PattF

Need to get new drum heads like really need new batter ones, I’ve got a mapex armory and I think the standard heads for that are ambassadors, I was thinking of getting coated emperors and leaving ambassadors on the resonant has anybody tried this before or could provide any help or recommendations on other drum heads.

Need to get new drum heads like really need new batter ones, I’ve got a mapex armory and I think the standard heads for that are ambassadors, I was thinking of getting coated emperors and leaving ambassadors on the resonant has anybody tried this before or could provide any help or recommendations on other drum heads.

I think you could safely say that coated Emperor over Ambassador has been tried before... it's been a popular head combo since the time of the folks you cited in your thread title. In fact back then, there were only two or three head choices (Emperors, Ambassadors, Black Dots) and I want to say all three of those guys used coated or clear Emps over Ambassadors.

Generally speaking you'll get a warmer sound with coated than with clear batters, and two-ply heads focus the sound and heighten the sustain. It has worked well for a lot of folks, so it can probably work for you.

black dots on top, clear ambassadors on the bottom. Tune higher than you normally would - thuddy drums do not sound like drums to the audience, higher pitch will project better and give you that signature sound.

Back