What sticks would you advise for......

liljoey

nightclub percussion?

I know for many percussionists out there, playing Congas, bongos with sticks/mallets is a crime. I whole-heartedly agree with you guys. However due to the fact that in the nightclub I am not Mic'd, I need to ensure that I get a crisp cut-through sound with lots of amplitude.

Ok so this is how it is going down:

(1) at the moment I use Regal tip - hard felt mallets on the congas/ bongos. Now these are good early on in the night, however as the dj pushes up the volume, i find the sound not to be loud enough.

(2) When the felt tip head came off, ( loose) the sticks were able to produce a more brash agreesive sharper sound. This was good for the later stages. The sticks are simply a broader wooden head.

MY QUESTION IS THIS.....

Can anybody recommend a set of sticks that would be produce a loud aggressive tone, though with a good bounce reflex for trills and dynamics? sticks/ brushes etc??

Any stick recommendations would be much appreciated...

P.S - Ordinary drum sticks produce an awful sound on bongos/congas.....Please let me reiterate.....I understand in an ideal world, these drums should only be played with hands, but in the circumstances.....I have no choice....

Thanks in advance guys ;)

Have you tried the mallet side of a combo stick. The Jim Riley sigs are called concert jazz and the stick side has a nice acorn tip and the mallet is just hard enough to get a good attack on my djembe.

The link to the picture below is of the Dennis Chambers model.

http://www.drumza.com/images/ZildjianDennisChambersDoubleDrumStickandMallet.jpg

Actually, those are JOHN Riley's sig sticks. :) No relation.

And, yeah, they should suit you fine, Joey. I've only messed around with them in-store but they should do nicely.

Back