Got ME a Vintage Dyna-Sonic Snare. AND....

P

plangentmusic

...the verdict is....it sounds pretty much like a Ludwig Supra-Phonic. LOL

It is a bit more responsive at the edges, but that could be the fact that it's a 5" as opposed to a 6.5. A tad brighter, not quite as fat dead center -- again, due to the size. (And that;s the reason I don't like piccolos -- they sound a little shallow dead center to me and tend to flatten out if tuned too low).

It's cool -- but my romantic recollection of how "special" it was is gone. It's just a drum.

Actually, I'm convinced I can make any chrome drum with a string throw off sound good. It's all how you tune it. And play it.

I don't think it sounds like a Supraphonic, but I probably tuned mine differently. I've owned 5 Dynasonics and probably 10 Ludwig 14x5 Supraphonics in my days of buying/selling, and I've found them to sound vastly different. The Supraphonic is a bit drier, and the Dynasonic is a bit "fuller"-sounding.

I really dig the Ludwig 402 Supraphonic (14x6.5), because it's dry and sharp like the 5" deep model, but has more fullness to it. And, as far as Rogers brass snares go, the Powertone beats the Dynasonic every time, hands down!

...just my $0.02...

What heads do you have on the Dynasonic? How is it tuned?

They came with Diplomat weight heads from the factory, at least that is what I have read, and that's what I have on my Dynasonic. Plus, they don't like to be tuned high so I have read also.

I don't think it sounds like a Supraphonic, but I probably tuned mine differently. I've owned 5 Dynasonics and probably 10 Ludwig 14x5 Supraphonics in my days of buying/selling, and I've found them to sound vastly different. The Supraphonic is a bit drier, and the Dynasonic is a bit "fuller"-sounding.

I really dig the Ludwig 402 Supraphonic (14x6.5), because it's dry and sharp like the 5" deep model, but has more fullness to it. And, as far as Rogers brass snares go, the Powertone beats the Dynasonic every time, hands down!

...just my $0.02...

I agree -- the ludwig is a bit dryer, the Dynasonic a bit fuller and yes, a deeper drum can be tuned higher and sound better than a shallow drum tuned lower (Hence my statement about piccolos). But a 5" will be a bit "faster." I have no problem with it -- it sounds good! Just..all in all...I just don't think it's that dramatic a difference. Every drum has a range where it will resonate optimally. It's not rocket science. I use coated ambassadors on everything. (And I've probably tried every head out there).

Heads, tuning, and SET UP of the Frame........

I have nine Dynasonics in varying depths, eras of manufacture, and material. I also own two 5" supras, and a 6.5 SuperSensitive Ludalloy. The Dynasonic and the Luddys are nothing alike.

If your frame is not properly set up and tensioned, its not going to be right.

Heads, tuning, and SET UP of the Frame........

I have nine Dynasonics in varying depths, eras of manufacture, and material. I also own two 5" supras, and a 6.5 SuperSensitive Ludalloy. The Dynasonic and the Luddys are nothing alike.

If your frame is not properly set up and tensioned, its not going to be right.

I didn't say it wasn't "right."

Back