DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-30-2010, 06:45 AM

Default Identifying a Ludwig.. Help purty please

Well, I don't have pics. I believe they are from the early 80's. Black and white badge I believe. 12/13/16/22. Black wrap. T-rods on the bass. Bass drum hoops are black with chrome in the middle.

The wrap on all drums are riveted! Weird. Also, the interior of the shells are like a tan-ish color (paint?) I can' t recall how many plies.

According to the vintagedrums website, they could either be rockers, s/l series, or an ultra cheap mark time series which used a 3-ply die-mold shell (what the..?)

I am finding so much contradictory info on the internet. BUT, the asking price is $150 .. what are these things???
Old 10-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Identifying a Ludwig.. Help purty please

Pics would be a huge help. Who's selling them? Is there a listing you could link?
Old 10-30-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Pics would be a huge help. Who's selling them? Is there a listing you could link?
I wish .. they are at a local shop. They look real similar (from Ludwig catalog) to the s/l and mark time series in 1984. Same configuration. Has double tom holder...I think I have described as much as I can!

Oh .. and it does have the 1303 bass drum spurs ...
Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Rockers used Classic line lugs (I think) and Rocker II had Standard lugs. Both used the 4 ply shell. When Ludwig moved from opened the Monroe plant (late 70's), was when the Rockers started being produced (in N.C.). They kept production of the Classics in Chicago, until 1985, until Chicago shut down .... then all production went to Monroe.
If you need a beater kit, $150, beat away. They're as good as any Pearl Export (or that level) kit.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

Harry, I don't think Ludwig ever riveted a Rocker wrapped drum, I may be wrong and it wouldn't be the first, but I'll bet they are the classic line. Ludwig DID put b/w badges on some of the classic line for a bit...

Just my $.02
Old 10-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
Harry, I don't think Ludwig ever riveted a Rocker wrapped drum, I may be wrong and it wouldn't be the first ....
I certainly won't fight you on that. I love Ludwigs ... especially my Ludwigs .... but I've seen so much, ah, diversity of practice, come out of Ludwig, that nothing suprises me. In this case, pictures would be nice.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I certainly won't fight you on that. I love Ludwigs ... especially my Ludwigs .... but I've seen so much, ah, diversity of practice, come out of Ludwig, that nothing suprises me. In this case, pictures would be nice.
Agreed on all points.. I love mine too.

Got a buddy who loves my 6-plies so much, he's gone out and hunted down some toms to go with his double 32 kicks, all in 6-ply. We'll be wrapping them all up soon..
Old 10-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

From my own experience trying to identify and date my Ludwig black and white badge kit I can tell you Ludwig's catalogs are only rough estimates sometimes and there are no absolutes. But I can also say if they're in good condition they're probably worth the $150.

A lot of the changes in Ludwig's entry-level line seem to have come slowly and not very consistently. But I'd say if the kit in question has tan interiors and 1303 spurs it is most likely a Rocker or S/L kit. The riveted wrap would also further narrow down the age of the kit, but I don't remember off the top of my head when Ludwig was riveting wraps.

The S/L and early Rockers used mini classic lugs, but by 1986 all of the Rocker drums seem to have gone over to the Rocker lug. What kind of lugs does the kit have?
Old 10-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

I have what I am pretty sure is an S//L ludwig kit in black wrap with silver inlay on the kick,22 12 13 16 and the heavy duty disappearing spurs.The interiors are tan/beige,with mini classic lugs on the toms,the toms are 4 ply the kick is 6, B/W badges have no serial # and the tom holder is the simple older style used on late 60's through late 70's kits,not the heavy duty modular one.I have never heard of a riveted standard ,S/L or rocker kit,I think the rivet thing was happening late 70's early 80's,and the riveted kit I had were 6 ply clear int,and all the riveted kits I have seen had the blue and oval badge.all the series I have mentioned came about from 79 to 1983,when Ludwig moved to Monroe,and ludwig was using up a lot of parts and there seems to be a lot of anomalies even for Ludwig in this period.I think the key will be the lug casing,the # plies of the shell,and the hardware.The last versions of ludwig standards in 82/83 had 4 ply toms 6 bass and straight disappearing spurs B/O badges.the S/L kits were the same but with straight and curved spurs and I have seen them with the light and heavy versions.There was a series sold in 1984 called the Mark Time that had 3 ply die mold shells and standard/rocker lugs which looks to me like the precursors to the rocker series.The rockers that came right after were supposed to be all 4 ply with the same mini classic/classic lugs.But for 150.00 you can't go wrong,I have an S/L beater kit that I have been using for 10 years and the only thing wrong is is that the mounted tom mounts and the Bd mount receiver are getting a little loosey goosey,but these had been around the block a few times when I got them and I have absolutely abused them since.The edges have some router rash,and a slight dip in all of the drums that I have to tweak every couple of gigs,but I know where and how much ,not a huge deal.But they can be made to sound good,and have worked well for me with clear and coated single ply resos,and the batters have worked well with the coated ambs aquarian vintage and clear pins.They seem to work best with med/med low tunings for me,but I have snuck them up to higher tunings and they were O.K.