Solid Brass lugs vs. Solid Aluminum lugs

siggi66

I am having a custom kit built by a local drum builder in Oregon. He is ordering the lugs from a lug maker. The lugs will be extruded aluminum or brass and the threads will be drilled straight into the solid metal. This will then be covered by chrome. Only the chrome will show.

I am trying to figure out if aluminum is fine for the threads, or if I should make a big stink and demand brass threads. Both the builder and the lug maker are strongly discouraging me from doing this. I don't care about the difference in price. I just want lugs that will last for a long long time. The lug maker says brass is 10X more expensive, but the builder told me the difference is only $1.50 more per lug.

The aluminum is high grade aircraft stock (allegedly). I previously owned an Allegra kit with aluminum lugs that stripped. I hated them, and I hated the kit.

Both the builder and the lug maker swear the aircraft grade aluminum lugs are every bit as good as the brass lugs. From my own research, I have discovered that brass has a natural lubrication that aluminum does not. Aluminum is not supposed to corrode as fast as brass. I am mainly worried about cross threading. That's what I want to avoid over time.

What do you guys think? Is aluminum okay or not? Obviously chrome steel tension rods will be screwed into these lugs, so the rods will be harder and stronger than the lugs no matter what. My only other option is a spring lug with a few measly chrome steel threads in the insert. I'm leaning towards the solid lugs. They won't rattle, and they will be smaller and one piece.

It's the choice between aluminum or brass that has got me thinking. Any advise would really help out, especially from somebody who knows about lugs.

I'm pretty sure brass is the way to go. Aluminum threads? I wouldn't chance it. Plus you've already had experience w/aluminum.

if you aren't going to have the spring insert lugs that give you a little room then I would go with brass. aluminum seems too soft. My only experience with aluminum has been high hat clutches, and bass drum pedals and they have all stripped out, I would hate to see that happen to a drum lug.

I would trust aluminium that much as in the main in will be fine as you would be replacing the tension rods by hand to start with- so cross threading wont happen.
Brass however would be my choice too as it would be more likely to resist any abuse from rushed head changes etc.
Never look back and wonder what if!

Some builders (GMS) believe that brass hardware will produce better sounding drums, as it resonates naturally and is historically the first choice for musical instruments (like horns).

Aluminum is also very resonant and has a very good natural tone...and it's very light.

I own a Pearl Masters MCX kit and they use very lightweight chrome aluminum lugs w/ threaded, brass inserts.

I don't think you can go wrong either way...so personally, if it were me, I'd go w/ the cost savings and lighter-weight aluminum.

Back